Booked holiday apt but visitors can't use the pool

(248 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

dollylucy Thu 18-Aug-16 12:14:03

Booked apt with pool
Paid in full

Now I receive extra details from the owner and only the people staying at the apt can use the pool.
I booked it so my brother and his family can visit and use the pool.
Is the owner being unreasonable or am I ?

witsender Thu 18-Aug-16 12:15:18

6 of one and half a dozen of the other tbh. I can see why you did it, but they're not being unreasonable. Otherwise who knows how many people could end up in the pool? Only you have paid for it.

dollylucy Thu 18-Aug-16 12:17:20

Why does it matter who uses the pool?

LottieL Thu 18-Aug-16 12:18:47

Maybe it's an insurance thing?

someonestolemynick Thu 18-Aug-16 12:19:11

They should have advertised this rule but i can understand it. There may have been a history of pool parties with the owners left to clear up the mess or it may be that ppl renting the appartment are insured to use the pool but guests aren't.
Why don't you e-mail the owner saying you booked with the intention of inviting family to the pool and ask if they can make an exception because it would it be better to cancel the booking.

YouSay Thu 18-Aug-16 12:19:37

Is it a resort pool? If your brother is staying in a different resort he cannot use the pool.

JeanGenie23 Thu 18-Aug-16 12:19:38

Unless he is watching you how is he going to know who uses pool?

MonsterZinc Thu 18-Aug-16 12:19:54

Where are you? Is it typical for the place you are staying?

YelloDraw Thu 18-Aug-16 12:20:06

How will they know?

YouSay Thu 18-Aug-16 12:20:35

Sorry I see it is a private pool. What does the contract say?

dollylucy Thu 18-Aug-16 12:21:26

It's a private apt with community pool.

Ok- I could understand insurance

dollylucy Thu 18-Aug-16 12:22:52

No cancellation now, I wouldn't get my money back

There is literally nowhere else suitable

GrimmauldPlace Thu 18-Aug-16 12:23:02

Yes I think as pp said it might be to stop pool parties etc. Have you spoken to the owner explaining it will only be your brother and family and not a free for all?

Is it a private pool? I'm wondering how the owner will even know who goes in the pool.

abigamarone Thu 18-Aug-16 12:24:35

Were these details on the website before you booked?Can they change the terms and conditions after booking?

dollylucy Thu 18-Aug-16 12:25:50

The owner is very wary, she's had problems before. I had to prove I was responsible! Fortunately I could give her a reference.

I've paid a breakage/cleaning deposit.

Foslady Thu 18-Aug-16 12:26:06

If it's a communal pool designed for X amount of apartments of max Y people who can sleep in themand everyone staying let another family use it it would soon get too full to enjoy/too noisy. How would you feel if that was the case?

Arfarfanarf Thu 18-Aug-16 12:27:35

So it's a complex of several private apartments with communal facilities?

So like going to, say, butlins and staying in a chalet then wanting family members to come and use the pool with the chutes and shit?

I can understand them saying only those staying in one of the apartments can use the shared facilities of those apartments. Tbh i would have assumed that was the case.

Different if you'd hired a holiday house with private pool. Then you tend to have a bit more privacy/ leeway

ShellyF Thu 18-Aug-16 12:27:54

The pool will be shared by lots of apartment. I suspect the riling is to avoid overcrowding.If you want your own pool you need to book a villa.

ShellyF Thu 18-Aug-16 12:28:41

Ruling

dollylucy Thu 18-Aug-16 12:29:15

Yes, she said we can't make noise either!
I guess it could get busy/noisy.

There was nothing about visitors on the website

amicissimma Thu 18-Aug-16 12:29:46

"It's a private apt with community pool."

I'd say there's your answer. Say there are 6 appartments, each for 6 people, that's 36 people potentially using the pool, which is, presumably, designed to accommodate in comfort approximately the number of people staying in the appartment. Now say that 2 appartments each invite a family of 6 over to use the pool. Now there are another 12 people in the pool designed for 36 and it's getting rather overcrowded. How would the people in the other appartments feel about being squashed into the pool they'd paid to have 1/36 of per party member? And the building owners would have absolutely no idea who was using their pool and it would be difficult to investigate liability if there was an accident: it would always be 'someone else's visitor'.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 18-Aug-16 12:29:53

Sorry, but if it's a communal pool I think it's reasonable, if everyone who can use it started letting in extra families it would cause overcrowding and complaints from residents of other apartments. Different from a hotel complex where non-residents can pay to use it where numbers are factored in, or a private pool.

Amelie10 Thu 18-Aug-16 12:30:34

Perfectly reasonable of the owner. Imagine if you had 10 guests over , and so did everyone who rents out the holiday apartments. See how uncontrolled and overcrowded this could become?

timelytess Thu 18-Aug-16 12:30:46

I think you are very cheeky to expect to be allowed to bring in other people, who have not contributed to the upkeep of the pool by renting the apartment.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 18-Aug-16 12:31:02

Yes, to stop overcrowding and all and sundry using the pool. It's not really fair on the other apartment owners and their clients if you're having double the amount of people that should be using it - what if they all did the same?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now