To just ignore Chuggers and similar

(82 Posts)
wasonthelist Thu 18-Aug-16 11:40:11

A woman trying to flog some kind of lottery tried to accost me with the usual "Hello/excuse me". Politeness probably dictates a polite response - but I feel the normal rules of social discourse are being subverted here and I've taken to just totally blanking such folk.

I know they have a job to do, but I think it's wrong to take advantage of the circumstances in this way.

myownprivateidaho Thu 18-Aug-16 11:41:21

Well I usually say "no sorry" or something. But yes I agree that you don't owe them anything.

Olives106 Thu 18-Aug-16 11:42:41

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I say, "No, thank you" politely and sometimes I just ignore them or frown and walk on. There's no obligation to stop

Heru Thu 18-Aug-16 11:43:17

If they start with 'excuse me' I usually just say 'no, thank you'. However the ones who start with 'do you love animals/children'' 'do you want to help the sick/cure disease/prevent poverty' etc get blanked, as they are trying to use emotional blackmail.

SoupDragon Thu 18-Aug-16 11:44:50

You've just reminded me that I was uncharactistically rude to one the other day. I usually just give a polite " no thank you" but this one opened with "hey! how can I get great shines hair like that!" And I replied "start by growing some." Because he was bald (or had a shaven head) blush I don't know what came over me.

SoupDragon Thu 18-Aug-16 11:45:59

I did have great shiny hair though, I'd just come from the salon grin

elQuintoConyo Thu 18-Aug-16 11:55:48

SoupDragon gringringrin

Start speaking a foreign language, something like "mi scusi, no o capito" with an Italian shrug! I must admit I just say 'toirist' as I walk past, with an English shrug.

Where I am they are either Red Cross or Oxfam. Oxfam are easy to ignore cos they're arseholes.

I donate to other charities in different ways, my conscience is clear. I have never been rude to a chugger or had one be rude to me, fortunately.

Fluffyears Thu 18-Aug-16 12:37:53

I don't bother with a foreign language, I just say 'sorry I don't speak English!' Usually there confusion is enough time to walk away as have British accent and I'm perfectly fluent.

Fluffyears Thu 18-Aug-16 12:38:38

Or I ask for their anti-fraud guarantee since they are a perfect stranger wanting my bank details.

DramaAlpaca Thu 18-Aug-16 12:40:11

SoupDragon grin

I'm with you OP, I refuse to make eye contact & walk right past them.

IceRoadDucker Thu 18-Aug-16 12:41:51

Fluffyears I guarantee they aren't stunned by your wit - they hear that all th time.

I usually just shake my head. With a smile if I'm in a good mood, without if I'm not. grin

DerelictMyBalls Thu 18-Aug-16 12:43:33

It's awful that you have to be rude to them, but unless you want to give them your bank details, what other choice is there? You can't just say 'no, thank you' when they are not asking yes/no questions. You just have to ignore them and look like a bastard.

VladmirsPoutine Thu 18-Aug-16 12:48:02

I remember saying 'I don't speak English' in German to one of them and the guy just switched to German and said 'no problem, I speak German too'. I looked like a deer caught in headlights! I just scuttled off feeling very embarrassed.

lemonsandelderflowers Thu 18-Aug-16 12:51:02

It's fine to just say a polite but firm "no, thank you."

What really annoys me is if I have to go up and down the high street a few times and they repeatedly approach. One "no thanks" should be enough.

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Thu 18-Aug-16 12:53:50

They knock on my door, there's no escape confused

specialsubject Thu 18-Aug-16 12:54:30

I say ' i dont buy things on the street, thank you' and walk on.

ReActiv Thu 18-Aug-16 12:55:20

My friend went along to an interview for a homeless charity chugger job a few years ago. It was a group interview and both the team leader and the other candidates did not care remotely about the charity. It was all about discussing strategies and seeing who was more likely to get people to stop. About how to get people to sign up for direct debits rather than just pay a one off £5. They were told that if they did not get enough donation details after a week's trial, they would lose their job. So it's little wonder they are so persistent in accosting people on the street. It's a 9-5, full time, averagely paid job. Lots of students take the work on over the summer, so I can understand why they want to try their hardest.

But i have no sympathy for them.

In my town centre, they are spaced within twenty feet of each other. and there are about ten out at once. So you really cannot avoid them without going on the road.

Depending on my mood I either say "No, thank you" as soon as they start opening their mouths to me, ignore them, or i pretend to be talking on my phone.

The ones who really, really piss me off are the young guys who attempt to flatter you into stopping, "Hey, gorgeous lady in the red jacket. Can I talk to you for a minute?" I find this really creepy and very embarrassing.

The ones who stand outside shop entrances so you have no option but to interact with them.

And the ones who come to your door. That really pisses me off. I find these are the ones who use the emotional blackmail. As soon as you open your door you're asked "Would you like to help a person with cancer?" clearly as a tactic to prevent people slamming the door in their face. And they come at like 9pm! I'm in my jammies by then with a face mask on. And i can't just ignore the door because they keep on knocking and wake my daughter.

I wish I was brave enough to ask them for THEIR details (full name, bank account etc) and ask them how much THEY donate to their charity themselves each month.

lemonsandelderflowers Thu 18-Aug-16 12:56:51

Ugh, yeah, I hate the ones who try to "compliment" you.

UnderslungBowlingBall Thu 18-Aug-16 13:00:02

I tend to make a reference as soon as possible and go off on a tangent about nothing even remotely related. Or just keep walking, depending on how I feel.

AlpacaPicnic Thu 18-Aug-16 13:04:20

Ever since I get verbal abuse from one 'delightful' lady in Birmingham City Centre I just refuse to engage anymore.
She jumped in front of me blocking my path and started wittering on about saving gorillas or some such bollocks. But I was just visiting and a bit wary of stopping as I was on my own day out from the sticks so I just said 'please leave me alone' and walked away quickly. She then shouted after me 'there's no need to be such a rude snobby bitch' and loads of people were staring at me. It was horrible.

This was a few years ago and I still burn thinking about it. So now I just avoid eye contact and pretend I don't hear them most of the time. Sunglasses and headphones are your friend. No music playing but they don't know that!

TaterTots Thu 18-Aug-16 13:12:25

I tend to ignore, but if they persist I say 'I don't sign up to anything in the street'. One got a bit sniffy once and said, 'Really? Can I ask why?' I said, 'It's just my policy' - which is usually the line they give you if you ask difficult questions!

Niloufes Thu 18-Aug-16 13:12:34

I once worked as a "chugger", for charities. As long as people didn't stop to berate me then I was happy with people ignoring me. If you want to stop stop if you don't don't.

ReActiv Thu 18-Aug-16 13:17:39

That is just horrendous, Alpaca. Did you complain?

I found this useful, but not sure if it applies across UK nationwide or just England? And only applies to charities who are members of the PFRA: www.pfra.org.uk/good-practice-legislation/our-rules/

* 2 Rules for Fundraisers

Best behaviour
While on duty, fundraisers MUST NOT:
 act in any way that might reasonably cause members of the public to be or become startled
or anxious
 act dishonestly or manipulatively, or deliberately seek to make a potential donor feel guilty
 act in any other way that a reasonable person might judge brings the charity they are representing into disrepute

. This includes:
 smoking or drinking alcohol in charity branded clothing
 taking or being under the influence of illegal drugs
 lewd or aggressive behaviour
 exploiting their position for personal gain (eg. soliciting a job offer,
propositioning someone for a date, or seeking a discount on goods or services)
 any other behaviour that harms the reputation of the fundraising profession or
the charity being represented in the eyes of the public
Sanction
The penalty is 100 points per incident.

RULE Fr2: Managing vulnerability

Fundraisers MUST NOT sign up any person at any time who they may reasonably conclude is, or may be, incapable of informed consent for any reason. These may include:
 incapacity due to illness or disability
 age-related confusion
 learning difficulties
 language competence
 financial competence
 times of stress and / or anxiety
 intoxication through drugs or alcohol
 any other circumstance where capacity is reasonably in doubt

Fundraisers MUST NOT sign up any person under 18 years of age.
Sanction
The penalty is 100 Points per incident.

1 For the purposes of clarification, the mere presence of a fundraiser or fundraisers in a location cannot be construed as ‘bringing into disrepute’.
PFRA Rule Book (Street) 5

RULE Fr3: Solicitation statements

Fundraisers MUST make legally compliant solicitation statements.
Further information can be found in the Guidance section at the back of this booklet.
Sanction
The penalty is 200 points per incident.

RULE Fr4: The ‘three-step’ rule
Once an approach has been made to a member of the public, a fundraiser MUST NOT take more than three steps alongside or in pursuance of that member of the public, even if asked to do so.
For the avoidance of doubt, ‘three steps’ involving fundraisers deliberately obstructing a member of the public will be considered a breach of Rule Fr8 (see below).
If the member of the public has not come to a halt within the three steps allowed for, the attempted engagement MUST be terminated.
Sanction
The penalty is 100 Points per fundraiser, per incident.

RULE Fr5: Deliberate obstruction
While on duty, fundraisers MUST NOT deliberately obstruct members of the public.
Sanction
The penalty is 100 points per fundraiser, per incident.

RULE Fr6: Immediate termination
Fundraisers MUST NOT initiate a conversation or continue to engage a member of the public
if that person clearly indicates – by word or gesture – that they do not wish to be engaged.
Sanction
The penalty is 100 points per incident.

RULE Fr7: Committed giving
Fundraisers MUST NOT suggest to any member of the public that the engagement they are attempting to initiate is ‘without commitment’. By definition, all engagements are ultimately ‘about long-term commitment’.
Where the fundraising approach involves a follow-up call (such as prospecting or “2-step” text fundraising), fundraisers MUST make clear to members of the public that they will be contacted a second time to solicit a regular donation following their initial engagement.
Sanction
The penalty is 50 points per incident.

RULE Fr8: Financial ask transparency

Fundraisers MUST NOT suggest to any member of the public that the engagement they are attempting to initiate is “not about money” or that they are “not fundraising”. By definition all engagements are ultimately ‘about money’.
Sanction
The penalty is 50 points per incident.

PFRA Rule Book (Street) 6
RULE Fr9: I.D. visibility
ID badges MUST include the identity of a fundraiser, who they work for and a phone number for the relevant charity or agency.
In order to facilitate this, ID ought to:
 be clearly displayed
 be in the form of a badge secured about the upper front part of the fundraiser’s torso
 be of not less than credit-card size
 be of sufficient font size to be readable for people with visual impairments
 be signed or in some other way authorised (company seal or stamp) by the employing
agency and/or commissioning charity
Sanction
The penalty is 50 Points, per fundraiser, per day.

RULE Fr10: Distance visibility
Fundraisers MUST be identifiable by the public from a distance of 5 metres. Charity branded clothing:
 MUST be visible and identifiable.
 MUST NOT be tied around waists or covered by non-charity branded clothing or other
property, or in any other way be obscured.
 MUST be clean and in good condition to ensure legibility and brand integrity.
Sanction
The penalty is 50 Points per fundraiser, per day.

RULE Fr11: Members of the public who are ‘on duty’
Fundraisers MUST NOT knowingly approach people conducting official duties on the high street, such as uniformed officials or tour guides.
Sanction
The penalty is 20 Points per incident.

RULE Fr12: Seated or queuing members of the public
Fundraisers MUST NOT approach:
 members of the public who are seated on street furniture or in the outdoor seating area
of a private business
 members of the public in queues e.g for tourist attractions, tour guide groups, bus
queues, cash point queues.
Sanction
The penalty is 50 Points per incident.

PFRA Rule Book (Street) 7
RULE Fr13: Proximity to street features
Fundraisers MUST NOT position themselves within 3 metres of a:
 shop entrance
 pedestrian crossing
 cashpoint machine
 station entrance
 market stall
 street trader, vendor, big issue seller or busker
Sanction
The penalty is 50 Points per incident.

RULE Fr14: Unattended bags
Bags MUST NOT be left unattended on the public highway. A team member MUST always
remain within 3 metres and line-of-sight of a ‘team bag’ (where one is used).
Sanction
The penalty is 100 Points per incident. *

ReActiv Thu 18-Aug-16 13:22:27

Going by 'the rule book' I've posted above, the majority of chuggers I've encountered have broken at least one of them!

The ones who come to my door usually start with "Don't worry, I'm not selling anything/after any money" which breaks Rule 8.

On the street, when I say 'no thank you' etc, several chuggers have tried to continue to engage me in conversation which breaks Rule 6.

And there are always times when I've seen them at shop entrances, which breaks Rule 7.

I actually cannot wait to encounter my next chugger and tell them all the rules they are violating (or just silently seethe again because I'm too much of a chicken to confront)

willowtreecottage Thu 18-Aug-16 13:24:07

I live in a very rural spot. I was really shocked to find them on my doorstep on Monday. I was cross too. With this , l put the chain on the door & told them l couldn't open it. They suggested they came back later, l said weakly ( while starring out to middle distance) " No"
They returned later ( really strange considering where we live) and l returned to my normal stance , telling them l couldn't afford it.
They then suggested l could start payments in October! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now