To invite only one part of composite class to party

(11 Posts)
Birthdaypartyangstiness Thu 18-Aug-16 10:45:43

DS has just started primary school this week. His 5th birthday is in 3 weeks. He wants a party at home -he's quiet and likes to escape to his room now and again, though he still wants a party. So that limits numbers a bit more than booking a soft play.

He also wants to invite some kids from pre-school nursery where he finished last Friday. About 6-8, most of whom he is going to still see at after school club though they aren't at the same school. So friendships worth continuing with.

He has never met any of his primary school class before, so I think I should invite all. But it is a 1/2 composite. We can probably cope with inviting all the p1s, but not the p2s too (10 versus about 17).

So WIBU to invite only the p1s from the composite class?

I'm usually a whole class or nothing person but trying to find a compromise to make this work with the timing being so close to the transition.

Didiplanthis Thu 18-Aug-16 10:55:11

We did this as my dd turned 5 in October in a composite class - I couldn't cope/afford with whole class so invited the reception children. I hadn't worked out who all the year 1's were by then anyway. It seemed fine and no one seemed upset about it. We did have to invite reception children she didn't like much and leave some yr 1's she did but it seemed the least divisive was of doing things.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 18-Aug-16 12:03:49

It it's all P1 and no P2 then no problem. Especially so early in the school yea

Birthdaypartyangstiness Thu 18-Aug-16 13:22:34

Thank you, just don't want to offend anyone so early on.

bungmean Thu 18-Aug-16 20:33:01

YANBU

lalalalyra Thu 18-Aug-16 20:36:32

All of the P1s is perfectly fine imo. That's similar to half of the class. It's when only one or two kids are left out it's rude I think.

Euphemia Thu 18-Aug-16 20:38:17

Seems reasonable to me.

Cheerfullygo4 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:20:48

No problem with that at all.

TiverMeShimbers Thu 18-Aug-16 21:56:21

My dc has been in 2 composite years and a party invitation for the half of the class in the same year has been fairly standard and hasn't resulted in any problems. Hope your DS had a great party!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 18-Aug-16 23:25:13

YNBU. It's not like you're inviting the whole class and leaving little Freddy out.

Birthdaypartyangstiness Thu 18-Aug-16 23:53:02

What a relief. And what a gentle response to a birthday party AIBU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now