taxi service

(9 Posts)
Sunshine51 Thu 18-Aug-16 07:58:19

I have a very good friend who chooses not to have a car as they insist they don't need it.
However any time we ever go out anywhere I have to pick them up and drop them off. We don't live near each other so sometime it's an 10 miles on my journey.
Normally I don't mind but recently it's started to niggle as their money saving exercise of not getting a car is at my expense.
I asked them to get a bus to my house so I didn't have to drive 30 mins out my way before continuing a hour long journey. They decided not to come that day out after all.
I felt really mean like I should get up earlier and go and get them but part of me thinks if they really wanted to come they would get the bus and meet me half way, aibu?

Roussette Thu 18-Aug-16 08:10:02

However any time we ever go out anywhere I have to pick them up and drop them off

No you don't. Who says you have to? No-one.

Of course YANBU. If they decide not to come that day because you aren't picking them up, that's their choice surely?

citychick Thu 18-Aug-16 08:12:19

YANBU to be fed up with it, but you need to stop it.
Her choice not to have a car. Your choice whether or not you pick them up.

She's taking complete advantage of you. The moment you said no, she flaked off. That's not how friends behave.

Be strong. Say no. No reason to give. You'll soon find out how much of a friend she is. She doesn't sound like a very good friend to me.

Good luck.

Sirzy Thu 18-Aug-16 08:13:35

Unless they are paying towards petrol then they are being very unreasonable

davos Thu 18-Aug-16 08:17:53

The only reason she doesn't need a car is because people provide that service for her.

Many people genuinely don't need a car.

A few of my friends live in London the only time they use a car is when they come back to Yorkshire. Usually they rent a car rather rely on everyone else.

Until that service isn't being provided for her, she will still think she doesn't need a car. I would also be considering how good a friend she is, if she flakes when you won't drive her around.

Jaynebxl Thu 18-Aug-16 08:19:54

Tell her you will pick her up if she pays petrol. We get 48p a mile at work.

glenthebattleostrich Thu 18-Aug-16 08:22:01

I don't drive and never expect lifts. If I'm offered lovely and I pay for parking and / or coffees.

If I do have to ask for a lift wine and chocolates are provided (my friends won't take petrol money).

Being a grown up, with internet access, I find it easy to research routes and get places (sometimes arriving before drivers and generally less stressed ;) )

GoblinLittleOwl Thu 18-Aug-16 08:24:32

I have an acquaintance who has a car but is saving the universe by not driving it; she gets to places by lifts from other people, never by using the bus.

Catam Thu 18-Aug-16 08:34:16

I always offer to drive because I'm a bit of a control freak where driving is concerned. If someone else is driving I offer them money for petrol/time. Someone expecting you to lift & lay them would piss me off too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now