To hate hashtags?

(15 Posts)
Wherethefucksthefuckingtuna Wed 17-Aug-16 22:27:05

I believe they started on Twitter but have now leeched on to Facebook and I've even heard people say a hashtag out loud after finishing a sentence in real life.

#thishashtagmakesmelookatwat

They should all just say this👆🏻as far as I'm concerned.

Funko Wed 17-Aug-16 22:27:57

#yabu #shitthread. 😄😄

Heathen4Hire Wed 17-Aug-16 22:30:30

To say "hashtag" out loud when describing something is being a dick. But you are partly BU because on Twitter they are very useful. Facebook is full of arseholes imho.

Wherethefucksthefuckingtuna Wed 17-Aug-16 22:32:11

#soshityouhadtocommentfunko

CotswoldStrife Wed 17-Aug-16 22:36:12

I feel your pain (but can't see your images!)

One of my daughter's friends finishes her sentences with "hashtag 'something'" so we are trying to make sure it doesn't catch on angry

I was even irritated by a FB friend tagging photos of her child with a rather twee hashtag, until I realised it meant she could search for all the photos on Instagram by the hashtag. It still grates a little, tbh.

#YABU

CotswoldStrife Wed 17-Aug-16 22:37:50

Hah, that was a hashtag fail - I meant to say #YANBU. See, bloody useless grin

Wherethefucksthefuckingtuna Thu 18-Aug-16 00:40:05

I had no idea they had an actual use tbh! I thought they were just a twat tag, they're not so bad then if they're useful I suppose. Still think people should only use them if they're genuinely witty, most people who use them however are not.

PaperdollCartoon Thu 18-Aug-16 00:46:12

Hashtags are stupid on Facebook, no one uses them properly, but they have a purpose on Twitter and Instagram.
I only use Instagram, but hashtags there are basically bookmarks/search tools. So searching for hashtags with the word 'breakfast' for example, will find all the other pictures tagged 'breakfast'. I'm vegan and post a lot of vegan food, sometime I like to search for other vegan food using hashtags like #vegan or #veganfoodshare etc.

However they need to be used frequently to have any use. Putting #paperdollcartoonisqueenofall for example will lead to that post and that's it, no need whatsoever for it.

Saying 'hashtag blah blah' as part of a sentence out loud is moronic.

notamummy10 Thu 18-Aug-16 00:50:54

Thanks to hashtags, my Instagram photos get more likes.... I've seen some people go overboard with them though.

Vickyyyy Thu 18-Aug-16 00:52:28

Yeah i find it annoying, especially as someone who has never used twitter. My sister posts hashtag rubbish on the end of all her facebook posts now. And I know people in real life who end sentences with hashtags also, and not teenagers either, which would be slightly more forgivable but just as annoying... angry

KC225 Thu 18-Aug-16 02:03:43

Me too. I thought they modern day equivalent adding 'not' to the end of a sentence. Didn't realise they had an actual use

Choccywoccyhooha Thu 18-Aug-16 02:20:32

I don't mind proper use of hashtags, but I can not bear the need to tag all 3000 photos of your child you put on facebook with #lovethem #mykidsaremyworld #thatface . It makes irrationally cross. Plus the random staus with random hashtag such as #lovingmygardentoday. Just why.

PaperdollCartoon Thu 18-Aug-16 08:33:53

Choccy
With you there. The tag serves no purpose in that context.

UmbongoUnchained Thu 18-Aug-16 08:39:17

Hashtags work on Facebook now the way they do on Twitter and Instagram, so not useless at all.

AvengeTheDoc Thu 18-Aug-16 08:46:34

Unbomgo whilst true they haven't truly been embraced on Facebook, and face books UI etc doesn't make it as easy to use because each result is generally huge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now