To love fangirling

(245 Posts)
WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 18:57:59

I'm currently fangirling over a male celebrity - so am doing the usual - looking up every YouTube clip of him that's ever been recorded ... Looking up every internet nugget about him.

I was attracted to him cos of his good looks - coincidentally we appear to have had similar upbringings in SOME ways from what I've read!!

Ah there's worse ways to spend a weekday evening !!

Autocorrect at first changed 'similar' upbringings to 'solidarity' upbringings - as far as I know neither of us was brought up by a 1980s Polish political party ....

Mycatsabastard Wed 17-Aug-16 19:03:43

Yab a bit U.

I grew out of stuff like that about 30 years ago.

My teen uses phrases like fangirling and I think anyone over the age of 20 using it is just trying to be 'down wiv da kids'.

WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 19:06:35

I need to grow out of it...

I am over 20..

HughLauriesStubble Wed 17-Aug-16 19:07:43

This is my guilty pleasure too OP. It's usually someone from a tv show I'm currently watching hence my username

I find that I will start off looking up something innocuous and just lose a whole hour to ogling pictures and YouTube videos. I used never do this when I was younger, it has come on with age blush

HughLauriesStubble Wed 17-Aug-16 19:08:12

Oh and I'm 30 op! No excuse!

Pina64 Wed 17-Aug-16 19:08:52

Depends who this celeb is....do tell!!

raisedbyguineapigs Wed 17-Aug-16 19:11:08

ah the real world is a terrible place at the moment. If we didnt have a bit of escapism, we'd all go mad IMO. Its possible to be an obsessive fangirler ( youtube, not stalking out their house and writing abuse to their partners on Instagram grin ) and be a perfectly mature adult! (Who is it, OP?)

almondpudding Wed 17-Aug-16 19:11:12

I'm a fangirl, as is my sister and my DD.

I have met so many friends through fandom.

Other than my family, it is the most important thing in my life and makes me very happy.

steppedonlego Wed 17-Aug-16 19:11:35

I'm 30 next month. I still fangirl with the best of them.

Do what makes you happy. You're not hurting anyone (I also want to know the celebrity. My crumpet is Misha Collins)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 17-Aug-16 19:11:41

I'm a little over 50 and never grown out of it. If you keep it secret it doesn't even have to be age appropriate. Fantastic.

I think I would call it a crush though <oh so old>

WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 19:13:46

HughLauries -

I used never to do this when I was younger ah - that's understandable - only relatively recently - in past 10 yrs or so has YouTube for instance become a thing - making the objects of our desire more accessible iyswim .... I watched my 1st YouTube vid in 2009 - that's relatively recently ... so I don't think so much it's your age as the opportunity everyone has now to seek stuff out - hard to resist!!

WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 19:15:42

Pina64
raisedbyguieapigs

Mine definitely divides opinion!!

PurpleDaisies Wed 17-Aug-16 19:18:51

I have never heard the verb "to fangirl" until today. I will add this to the new verbs I have learned during the Olympics-to medal, to strength and to podium.

raisedbyguineapigs Wed 17-Aug-16 19:20:37

Go on! Tell us! As they say, the guesses will be worse grin

Thefitfatty Wed 17-Aug-16 19:20:53

Is this who has inspired you to lose weight?

Pina64 Wed 17-Aug-16 19:23:25

Ooh at least a clue!!

ShelaghTurner Wed 17-Aug-16 19:23:51

I'm a total fangirl, have always been that way inclined but in the olden days with no Internet and no youtube we had to really work at our fangirling. Kids today don't know how easy they have it wink

raisedbyguineapigs Wed 17-Aug-16 19:28:58

My DS used to be absolutely obsessed with Doctor Who, and wanted Instagram so he could see pictures etc from the set and news. I don't let him have social media so I agreed to join instead and followed all the actors and fan pages on Instagram. He's now lost interest, and hardly ever asks to go on it, but I still follow all the fan pages, and have added loads of other actors etc that I can spend way too long poring over blush.

raisedbyguineapigs Wed 17-Aug-16 19:30:44

Im also far too involved in their private lives blush blush

WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 19:39:49

fitfatty yes

WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 19:43:14

PurpleDaisies - I recommend you buy this weeks(fortnight) edition of Private Eye - especially middle 2 pages - and its take on the Olympics!

PurpleDaisies Wed 17-Aug-16 19:44:18

Excellent-thanks for the tip!

WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 19:44:53

raisedbyguineapigs
Pine64 - famous in the 70s.

also - divides opinion (as mentioned above).

This should narrow it down.!

KC225 Wed 17-Aug-16 19:54:25

I thought fangirling was a new obscure Olympic sport like curling. I never knew it existed until those Scottish ladies won gold. Bit disappointed to read it's just a modern day crush

WoburnSands Wed 17-Aug-16 19:56:06

KC225 the way things are going it probably will a sport in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics! ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now