To ask if anyone watched the interview with Laura trott's suster?

(24 Posts)
Attethersend43 Wed 17-Aug-16 14:31:08

And what you thought of it? The DM is having a field day...

JinkxMonsoon Wed 17-Aug-16 14:42:20

Why, what did she say?

wobblywonderwoman Wed 17-Aug-16 14:44:12

I didn't buy the media are all over it. I must try and watch it.

Hopefully she hadn't let herself down .what a massive achievement.

Attethersend43 Wed 17-Aug-16 14:49:36

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3744916/She-s-not-worked-harder-Olympic-winner-Laura-Trott-s-sister-gets-called-bitter-jealous-TV-interview-quadruple-gold-success.html

hownottofuckup Wed 17-Aug-16 14:55:00

Ah it just sounds like siblings to me.

VladmirsPoutine Wed 17-Aug-16 14:56:18

Basically her older sister is unimpressed. Smacks of jealousy imo.

EvilTwins Wed 17-Aug-16 15:02:28

What tosh. She's her sister! I am proud of my sister, and would be proud of her if she won a gold medal. But I don't go around telling her I'm proud of her. confused

Goingtobeawesome Wed 17-Aug-16 15:05:50

She came across as not very loving towards her sister. Laura has defended her though.

Lesley1980 Wed 17-Aug-16 15:07:50

I didn't see it but reading about it I believe she said her sister didn't work any harder than the other athletes At the Olympics & she is probably right. They have all made a huge effort & sacrificed a lot to get to the Olympics. At that lever they all work incredibly hard.

Attethersend43 Wed 17-Aug-16 15:09:10

I agree, I can see how her comments could have been misconstrued but I think both she and Laura come across as very humble and down-to-earth...

OurBlanche Wed 17-Aug-16 15:11:20

Given that she too was a cyclist and is still a trainer her comments make perfect sense.

Not harder work, just different, not an office job, degree, rocket science.

And yes, she is as proud of her as she would be if she had achieved anything else.

Not sure the DMs cut and paste has added anything to the 'story'.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 17-Aug-16 15:30:12

Maybe a mistaken attempt at humour that just didn't come across well?

She doesn't sound particularly envious, or that bitter; but she could have been a bit more circumspect about her comments, I think.

LobsterQuadrille Wed 17-Aug-16 15:30:14

I saw the interview (but haven't read the DM) and could imagine my sister saying exactly the same kind of things about me (except that I will never achieve Olympic heights). She didn't come across as bitter or jealous! Maybe just not the gushing type - I'm sure that Laura's family keep her grounded amid all the acclaim.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 17-Aug-16 15:43:20

I think Laura keeps herself grounded.

AnotherUsernameBitesTheDust Wed 17-Aug-16 15:46:59

Sounds like normal siblings to me. Especially her tweet before the race about the smaller uglier one in the family - that is how my boys talk to each other all the time!

midsomermurderess Wed 17-Aug-16 15:50:36

I find the interviews with family, partners etc a bit silly anyway. All that 'how do you feel' and 'what does it mean to you stuff' just seems irrelevant.

Propertyquandry Wed 17-Aug-16 15:52:05

Just sounded like a grounded family comment to me. Maybe she was trying to avoid accusations of arrogance.

As an aside, I like the concept of the little Trott/Kenny flat in Bolton being 10th in the medal table were it a country. 😄

user7755 Wed 17-Aug-16 15:52:08

Didn't see it but from what I've read, she seems very grounded and solid. There were obviously some family in jokes but I get the sense that as a family that's how they are what do I know, I've only read this interview

yestheyhavethesamedad Wed 17-Aug-16 16:06:15

I saw the interview and thought it was sibling rivalry right up and taken as keeping her grounded until she said , when we went on bike rides as a family she used to complain if dad and I went ahead of her she would tell mum, so I have no I idea how she became a champion and I didn't

yestheyhavethesamedad Wed 17-Aug-16 16:23:55

and just read that back and realised what I wrote made no sense so will try again. when I watched the interview I took it as her keeping her grounded and normal sibling rivalry until she made the comment about how she couldn't believe her sister became Olympic champion and she didn't, that came across as quite bitter .

QueenLaBeefah Wed 17-Aug-16 16:28:55

Maybe Laura didn't work any harder and her sister was saying that Laura had natural talent.

EvilTwins Wed 17-Aug-16 16:30:00

I don't think that's bitter - I think it's funny. It's exactly the kind of thing my sister/dad would say about me and vice versa. It's funny that she used to moan about riding up hills and now she's a champion! My niece is a really good trampolinist and has her sights set on the 2020 Olympics. I can imagine her sister saying something similar - they both did the same sport until the older niece broke her arm.

OurBlanche Wed 17-Aug-16 16:30:54

No, that just sounds like me saying I can't believe my DSIS took an English degree when she has never read a book in her life, it was, and still is, me who is always reading.

Or that's how I heard it... as long as they are happy, who cares? Really?

user7755 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:58:10

Evil - exactly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now