to wonder why people leave their personal facebook open for anyone to view?

(8 Posts)
DiotimaofMantinea Wed 17-Aug-16 14:02:17

I looked up someone I was friends with a long time ago but am no longer in contact with and they have all their facebook posts and photos on display for anyone to see. I know it is each to their own, but I am surprised that this person would not want some privacy for them and their family and they definitely know about privacy settings as they are not stupid. Why would someone show all this to the world, or am I just being anal about privacy?

ElspethFlashman Wed 17-Aug-16 14:06:06

People can be very very relaxed about FB.

Every time there's a thread here debating whether it's right to post pics of your kids every day, there's always a few people who say that everyone is too uptight and it's harmless.

I have an acquaintance whose house and property I know intimately even though I haven't seen her in years. confused

Jecan Wed 17-Aug-16 14:17:32

I don't understand this either.
A man I know (altho we're not FB friends) has left his wife (and 3 kids) for another woman & both the man & the OW's FB pages are wide open for the world. This is a seemingly intelligent, well educated man but the world can see when he is at the airport on the way to going on holiday, when they are on days out etc.
But DH & I are using his lack of privacy to mock his mid life crisis!

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 17-Aug-16 14:37:45

Mine is open because I don't say anything that I wouldn't say in public anyway - I don't have dramas or make pa digs at anyone. I use PMs for that... grin

Also because it bugs the fuck out of me when I'm involved in a discussion with a friend, and someone whose settings are "friends only" (and with whom I'm not friends) joins in. I can see my friends' responses, but not their contribution, so I never know if I appear to be condoning (by not opposing) some stupidity or other.

FlyingElbows Wed 17-Aug-16 14:41:53

I don't know why people do it either. The horrible women Mr Elbows works with like to stalk their colleagues using it. They're not impressed they can't see me!

EreniTheFrog Wed 17-Aug-16 15:17:12

It's awful, I know, but I do kind of enjoy it for the snoop.

Philoslothy Wed 17-Aug-16 15:26:48

Mine is private as a hangover from when I was working but to be honest I don't really care if somebody wants to snoop at my rather dull life.

OurBlanche Wed 17-Aug-16 15:31:55

The day I stopped teaching I opened mine. It is wide, wide open... I use it for work, it is great for self employed networking, and for chatting but NEVER put anything up that I would consider private.

Now I am better versed in the Privacy options I can do more... but probably won't. It is just a communication tool and I have no desire to share my private life with all and sundry.

But I do wonder about people who seem to need to be on there all day long, sharing the minutiae of their lives!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now