To smoke out my stinky neighbour

(24 Posts)
Difficultyear2015 Tue 16-Aug-16 21:57:23

I moved into a rented apartment when I moved jobs earlier this year. All lovely.
Then next door flat was vacant and a single guy rented it. Since then every night he deep fries food between 10pm - 11pm.

Unfortunately his kitchen window is next to my bedroom window and his extractor fan is inbetween them both and if I forget to shut my window my bedroom (and the rest of the flat) becomes full of thick heavy fried food smells.

To the point that my bedding constantly smells like it. Despite washing my bedding twice weekly.

I try to keep my windows shut but it's so hot that I'm just sitting in my pants all clammy half the time.
So stressed about it.

He is obviously full in his right to cook whatever he likes whenever he likes.
He might be a bit inconsiderate (he is at home all day so not like he has just got in from work)

So is it wrong of me to want to light a fire and point a fan in his bedroom direction just as he wants to go to bed to prove a point

SoupDragon Tue 16-Aug-16 22:00:31

Or you could just talk to him.

Difficultyear2015 Tue 16-Aug-16 22:18:11

That would be just so reasonable though

xexxsy Tue 16-Aug-16 22:37:56

Have a chat with the man. Could be a nice person, you never know he could invite you in for fried dinner and hot afters.

BoomBoomsCousin Tue 16-Aug-16 23:01:24

"That would be just so reasonable though" grin

MarcelineTheVampire Wed 17-Aug-16 00:10:03

Do you usually wash your bedding twice weekly?! <completely misses point of thread>

DesolateWaist Wed 17-Aug-16 00:13:59

You could put a tube out of your window and into the fan vent.
Then you can talk through the tube and make him think you are God, a fairy, goblin etc. Tell him about the error of his ways while messing with his mind.

BeverlyGoldberg Wed 17-Aug-16 00:14:12

Marceline - everyone on Mumsnet does, in fact twice a week is positively tardy compared to some!

SuperManStoleMyPants Wed 17-Aug-16 00:22:43

I feel you're pain. I once had a housemate who seemed to eat nothing but fried food and fish envy my room was above the kitchen and my god the smells! Ugh.

But if it is late at night why not just have the windows open in the day with curtains or blinds closed (breeze but not sunlight) and then close them at night? A damp towel over an open window can help to cool a room too.

Either that or fart through his letter box.

YourNewspaperIsShit Wed 17-Aug-16 07:05:10

Buy a big ol' fan if you really can't speak to him? Will cool the room amd hopefully blow some of the smell out of your face grin Seriously though I can't sleep without mine on and my electric doesn't go up much.

Can you not report it to the council/whatever is appropriate to the country you're in, smells are just as antisocial as loud noises (and fried food smells make me vomit so I couldn't be as calm as you)

a8mint Wed 17-Aug-16 09:01:47

Just set a reminder on your phone to close the window at 9,30 and put on a fan

cantshakeitoff Wed 17-Aug-16 09:06:11

Put a fan in the window blowing air out of your room/ stopping the smell from coming in?

Paintedhandprints Wed 17-Aug-16 09:08:38

I'd talk to landlord or flat management company about the location of the extractor fan. I think it needs to vent at least 2m above habitable spaces. So an extra length of conduit to the roof added on.

NavyandWhite Wed 17-Aug-16 09:11:11

Talk to him?

And say what? " can you eat beans on toast please instead of chips and god knows what? "

Difficultyear2015 Wed 17-Aug-16 09:18:35

Thank you painted il look into the guidelines and see if that might be the case and get onto them

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 17-Aug-16 09:23:26

Can imagine that would be really annoying but I don't think you can expect him to stop cooking fried food.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 17-Aug-16 09:24:48

P.s could be worse, you could live above a fish and chip shop.

Difficultyear2015 Wed 17-Aug-16 09:25:36

I wouldn't have chosen to live above a fish and chip shop though

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 17-Aug-16 09:36:13

It's not normal to spend an hour deep frying food every evening before bed.
What about his poor arteries? shock

I don't think asking him to refrain will go well but you could try putting a very polite note through his door (it will probably be ignored), buying some Febreeze, or moving.

Difficultyear2015 Wed 17-Aug-16 09:40:12

If im only 6 months into a 12 month lease would I be able to move now though? Im so upset that I might be stuck with this for another 6 months. Im having to sleep in the lounge

TheGruffaloMother Wed 17-Aug-16 09:48:36

There's very little you can do really barring talking to the landlord about the location of the extractor fan output or just closing your windows at 9:30. I wouldn't mention it to the neighbour. He's not actually doing anything he shouldn't though his arteries may disagree

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 17-Aug-16 09:56:41

The weather should be cooling down somewhat soon, so you'll be able to keep your window closed. Honestly though, I know annoying but things could be so much worse, in past places I've lived, there's been drug smoke and sex noises, I would rather have had fried food that I could have avoided by closing my window.

gasman Wed 17-Aug-16 10:05:47

Sympathies. My downstairs neighbours smoke hanging out their windows /on the balcony so when they are at home I have the choice of fag smoke in my flat or closing the windows and being too hot...
I don't really feel I can complain I just hope the next tenants don't smoke!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 17-Aug-16 10:20:23

I suppose you could come over all friendly neighbour and freeze a batch of meals for him to re heat for his dinner? It might give you some respite from the dreaded fryer.
(Unless he attempts to fry them of course sad)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now