To ask if you're going to buy a tv license if you don't have a tv?

(313 Posts)
Attethersend43 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:44:48

New law is coming in this September forcing those who watch iplayer on devices to buy a tv license.

I don't have a tv and watch iplayer very rarely...

Should I buy a license?

TormundGiantsbabe Tue 16-Aug-16 18:47:27

I'm not going to. I'm just going to delete the iPlayer app. Ds is the only one who watches it as he's obsessed with Peter Rabbit but I'm sure buying him the DVD won't cost £145.

Charlesroi Tue 16-Aug-16 18:51:22

No, we just won't watch the iPlayer and will block it on the router.

GladAllOver Tue 16-Aug-16 18:51:23

It's been a hole in the law for years, and they are just filling it.
There really is no difference whether you watch TV live or just delayed by an hour or a day - you're still watching a programme and need the licence.

Gottagetmoving Tue 16-Aug-16 18:52:19

I hate having to buy a tv licence. It should be scrapped and the BBC should use adverts like other channels.
I wouldn't buy one if I were you. You hardly watch iplayer and have no tv?
I wish I had the balls to not pay it but we do watch tv, although not bbc enough to warrant that bloody fee!

helpimitchy Tue 16-Aug-16 18:53:08

We don't watch television. Only box sets or YouTube. I've deleted the iplayer app, but I never used it anyway. I'm not interested in the slightest in what the BBC puts out now. Even when we had a tv licence we never watched BBC. It was all either dumbed down rubbish, or stuff for very old people.

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Aug-16 18:56:36

although not bbc enough to warrant that bloody fee!

Never listen to BBC radio? Use the website? It's not just for to.

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Aug-16 18:56:46

For TV.

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Aug-16 18:57:39

Although you only pay the licence if you watch tv, obviously.

Redglitter Tue 16-Aug-16 18:58:48

I seriously object to my licence fee. I don't watch any BBC programmes and resent being forced into paying for something I don't use

NerrSnerr Tue 16-Aug-16 18:59:02

If you watch Iplayer however rarely you need a licence. Why should you get the service for free when the rest of us pay?

I personally think the licence fee is worth it for Doctors alone, but I may be in the minority...

StrongBelwas Tue 16-Aug-16 19:01:02

I love when I'm at home for Doctors! It's rare though sad

SharkBaitOohHaha Tue 16-Aug-16 19:04:22

I have a TV but don't watch anything live (use it for consoles only). Occasionally watch things on iPlayer, but not often enough for me to justify paying for a TV licence. I'll forego the few programmes I would watch and just save the money.

If they had a pay per series type subscription, I'd probably do that. Think they've missed a trick there.

NerrSnerr Tue 16-Aug-16 19:04:59

Strong I record it and watch it after work. I have been obsessed since I used to live near where they filmed when I was at uni!

Hulababy Tue 16-Aug-16 19:11:13

*watch iplayer very rarely...

Should I buy a license?*

If you watch iPlayer at all then yes, you should get a license.

Sleeperandthespindle Tue 16-Aug-16 19:12:56

We're going to. Have used iplayer for years with no tv and listen to R4 all the time.

Genvonklinkerhoffen Tue 16-Aug-16 19:19:09

nersnerr used to try to get on in the background..! Can't quite remember where they filmed it tho? Smelly Poke?

Gottagetmoving Tue 16-Aug-16 19:19:26

Never listen to BBC radio? Use the website? It's not just for to

No not really. Very rarely listen to radio and don't watch bbc on internet. Not enough to pay a fee anyway.

cornishglos Tue 16-Aug-16 19:23:17

Yes. I bought one for the Olympics and so glad I did.

NerrSnerr Tue 16-Aug-16 19:32:16

Genon Yes that's right. You can see the surgery just off the Bristol Road on the way to Northfield.

Brahumbug Tue 16-Aug-16 19:34:26

God forbid that the BBC start showing adverts. The commercial channels would be up in arms at the competition for shrinking advertising revenue. The BBC is theworld's best broadcaster and independent of the state. Do we really want it interfering with?

Balanced12 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:34:51

I thought you had to buy a licence even if you just had a laptop ? I resent paying for something I don't use

StrongBelwas Tue 16-Aug-16 19:52:34

Nerr blush I'd not thought of that!

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 16-Aug-16 20:11:20

I will. I've assumed for a while they would bring this in, and fair's fair.

WordGetsAround Tue 16-Aug-16 20:17:04

We're going to. Never had one in over 10 years of living together, as never had a tv, but since having DCs, iPlayer use has crept up! As PP said, fair's fair - I was expecting them to close the loophole soon. I use the BBC news app tens of times a day and listen to radio 4 on IPlayer app loads too, so will definitely feel I've got my money's worth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now