To think my 14yo shouldn't be offered hand me downs from an 8yo?

(14 Posts)
LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 18:19:47

My SIL (who is lovely, but a bit mad) asked me yesterday if we'd like her DS's clothes for DS1.

Her DS is a very normal sized 8yo. Ds1 is, tbf, smaller for his age, but still. He's 14 in a few weeks.

I boggled for a little while and then asked her how fucking small she thinks my son is. Bearing in mind she does actually see him regularly.

She said, oh MIL told DS he'd have to start handing his clothes down to your DS soon so I thought I'd offer.

<headdesk>

I wasn't sure whether to take offense or just privately LOL at her taking an obvious Grandma joke so literally.

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Tue 16-Aug-16 18:25:09

Eh?? confusedgrin
Shouldn't it be the other way around?

SquidgyRedBall Tue 16-Aug-16 18:26:34

grin

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 18:27:11

Well exactly! It was the oddest conversation.

I actually thought for a while she was making a bitchy pronouncement on ds1's stature, but she genuinely just took MIL's 'aren't you a big boy now' type comment completely literally.

isthistoonosy Tue 16-Aug-16 18:27:14

Bless grin
She meant well at least

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Aug-16 18:27:57

Don't take offence; I'd file it in your lovely and well meaning but bonkers file.

kilmuir Tue 16-Aug-16 18:28:03

Not sure I understand. It's a kind gesture I suppose

merrymouse Tue 16-Aug-16 18:29:50

Weird - even if your DS were smaller can't imagine he'd want to dress like an 8 year old.

However if your SIL is 'lovely but a bit mad', there is your explanation.

veryproudvolleyballmum Tue 16-Aug-16 18:31:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spidey66 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:31:21

Apart from the size....surely an 8 year old's clothes would be too childish for a 14 year old, who would be getting into fashion and be getting more picky about what they wear. I can't imagine a 14 year old wearing a t-shirt with cartoon characters on and jeans with elasticated waists lol.

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 18:33:12

I know! It's just so very random.

She does mean well, I'm sure, but it did really make me chuckle, and boggle.

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 18:42:03

Tbf, she used to be a lot more bonkers so there was a part of me that was thrilled she's returned to type.

It can be quite entertaining.

Enidblyton1 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:49:55

Ha ha! Thanks for making me chuckle. That's brilliant!!

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 20:54:32

I just told ds1 that he can have his cousin's cast offs and he looked at me like I'd grown an extra head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now