to refuse an eBay seller's request for me to send them item back

(38 Posts)
CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:15:13

because the postage should be shouldered by the seller (as per eBay rules)?

I am returning an item because it does not seem authentic. Seller swears its authentic. In hindsight, yes, there is no way the item will be authentic at the price I got but I just thought it was one of those unbelievable bargains.

DoreenLethal Tue 16-Aug-16 10:16:34

Where does it say the postage should be shouldered by the seller in the case of a return?

CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:19:26

The seller is insisting the item is authentic.

ParanoidGynodroid Tue 16-Aug-16 10:19:40

I am confused by your post. Are you sending the item back or not? Or is it that you are demanding refund without sending the item back?

If the latter, the item should be sent back for refund. However, if all is as you describe, then the seller should pay the postage, therefore YANBU.

CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:21:04

DoreenLethal

It's in the ebay website, under Returns

^Here's what we found for "Who pays for return postage?"

If there's a problem with an item, the seller is responsible for paying return postage costs. If a buyer changes their mind about a purchase and wants to return it, they may be required to pay the postage costs, depending on the seller's return policy.

Sellers can provide a return postage address and additional return postage information for the buyer in My eBay.^

CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:21:35

I am sending the item back. But I don't want to pay for the return postage.

CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:22:40

Paranoid

I am sending the item back but I do not want to shoulder the return postage based on the eBay rule I quoted above.

NoFuchsGiven Tue 16-Aug-16 10:22:51

If a buyer changes their mind about a purchase and wants to return it, they may be required to pay the postage costs, depending on the seller's return policy.

You have answered your own question. You as a buyer have 'changed your mind'.

RaeSkywalker Tue 16-Aug-16 10:23:24

If the item isn't as described (in this case- fake), the seller needs to pay for the return. If they won't do it then open a case with eBay.

YorkieDorkie Tue 16-Aug-16 10:23:37

If they've advertised it as authentic and you know that it isn't, you need to open a claim about that. You may end up getting your money back that way plus the cost of returning it.

BertrandRussell Tue 16-Aug-16 10:23:42

If you think it's a fake report to EBay.

But you can't just say "I don't think it's genuine, I want my return postage"

HeddaLettuce Tue 16-Aug-16 10:25:01

You have answered your own question. You as a buyer have 'changed your mind'

No, she has discovered the item is not what the seller said it was.

If you tell ebay that the item is fake and the seller is not paying return postage, ebay will most likely refund you anyway, and you still have the item as well.

CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:25:03

NoFuchsGiven

Yes I changed my mind because the item is not authentic. The item is advertised as authentic. It's not just a case of I changed my mind because I just changed my mind.

CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:26:35

HeddaLettuce

Yeah, I sent an email to eBay. Usually they respond within 24 hours so keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't really want to keep this item as the stitching is so horrible there is no way this is authentic.

MakeJam Tue 16-Aug-16 10:27:13

Report to eBay as counterfeit. They take a dim view of this. If you speak to them on the phone they will email you with a pre-printed returns note and charge the seller.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 16-Aug-16 10:27:12

I bought a fake Tiffany ring and tried to claim through eBay that I shouldn't send it back (with photos showing it was brass under the silver) as you're not supposed to send fake goods through the post.

I just got emails from eBay telling me to return. I eventually did after protracted arguments by me - and I didn't get a refund as it was over 30 days.

I did a feedback form, sent multiple emails with proof of me sending it back and still didn't get a refund. eBay don't give a shit.

LyndaNotLinda Tue 16-Aug-16 10:27:28

Well then you need to open a case with ebay that it's not as described.

Damselindestress Tue 16-Aug-16 10:27:56

The item was not as described. That's not the same as changing your mind. If the seller is being unhelpful apply for a refund directly through ebay.

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 16-Aug-16 10:33:38

Have you paid through paypal, you could claim through them. No way should you be out of pocket if you have received a fake.

BadTasteFlump Tue 16-Aug-16 10:34:16

As others have said - don't bother going to the seller - report the item to ebay as counterfeit. They have to sort it out.

And make sure you do everything within the specified times. If you paid by Paypal you should be fine.

Madbengalmum Tue 16-Aug-16 10:35:38

I believe in some caese on ebay, buyer has to proove item is fake.

BoffinMum Tue 16-Aug-16 10:37:31

I bought a piece of exercise equipment that was not as described on Ebay and PayPal were absolutely fantastic. I would go down that route.

Happyinthehazeofadrunkenhour Tue 16-Aug-16 11:05:30

Just send the item back and get seller to reimburse you postage on top of refund?

Happyinthehazeofadrunkenhour Tue 16-Aug-16 11:07:17

Sorry, is it the case that seller not accepting the return but insisting it's authentic?

Lilacpink40 Tue 16-Aug-16 11:08:48

If it's a few pounds postage I'd just pay it to end the matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now