To hate Amazon/Hermes?

(12 Posts)
PedantPending Mon 15-Aug-16 13:28:04

I have ordered a couple of things from Amazon recently. 1 has been on order since June. Who do they send it via? Hermes!
Hermes that always comes when you are out, doesn't have any infrastructure in my area so nowhere to collect parcels from, no info on the leaflets you get, no way of parting instructions about leaving in a designated place online and I was in this morning, when they said they had tried again.
So my stuff is going to be returned to Amazon and I need to go through the whole process again or not bother.
In the past Hermes has left parcels on my doorstep in full view, uncovered and open to the elements or, in one case, has just pretended I wasn't in and returned goods to sender, which caused a bit of a stink when I rang to ask why I hadn't received my order.
I have no problems with the postal service, DHL or even DPD, where you at least get a notification and can change delivery dates/times or instructions online.
Grrr

mrsfuzzy Mon 15-Aug-16 16:56:58

pita isn't it, so frustrating when you look forward to getting your stuff and it is late not delivered on time etc, and customer service isn't always that brilliant either.

StrongBelwas Mon 15-Aug-16 17:04:26

I love DPD! Hermes are awful, they left a parcel for me in my neighbours recycling bin without even trying to come to the right house hmm.

Andrewofgg Mon 15-Aug-16 17:05:04

If I can't use the Lockers I don't use Amazon.

sweetpeaandroses Mon 15-Aug-16 17:06:38

I've had the exact opposite experience of Hermes. DHL & Citilink have let me down massively but the Hermes courier is really good. He puts the parcel in the shed and leaves me a note and once came back twice in a day for a 'signed for' package.
Must be just luck.

purplevase4 Mon 15-Aug-16 17:19:10

YANBU to hate couriers who are unreliable.

Personally I think you should always be able to choose Royal Mail as an option. At least people often know their postie and the sorting office won't be that far away if you need to collect. I also know roughly when my post(wo)man will arrive.

Amazon is really annoying now they have their own couriers. To be fair, things often arrive earlier than they predicted, but that's not a good thing if you are away for the weekend and you thought the item would arrive Monday and they bring it Sunday! And the times are all over the place - you can't go out, whereas I know with Royal Mail that I can, and if I do miss the delivery, I just go to the sorting office the next day.

And far too many couriers need signatures even if things will fit through the letterbox. I'm paying, I've paid for the item, why do I not get to choose a convenient courier for me? I imagine other people prefer anyone but Royal Mail - again you should be able to choose.

Rach168 Mon 15-Aug-16 18:27:36

I wish all online retailers were required to be clear on their website what delivery company they use and what the delivery arrangements are. It would definitely influence which online retailers I ordered from.

HighwayDragon1 Mon 15-Aug-16 18:30:00

Maybe make sure you're in when you've ordered something, especially with Amazon they always tell you when it'll be delivered and if you're on prime you know it'll be the next day.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Aug-16 18:32:40

Maybe make sure you're in when you've ordered something

Maybe read the OP properly.

PedantPending Thu 18-Aug-16 19:56:16

Hmm well I do not get the choice of delivery method, clearly, but I usually get orders sent to where I am staying, on the basis that there will be someone in to accept the delivery.
However, this still does not prevent companies from pretending they do not have the correct address.
Finally got my delivery after they rang me on my home phone. No idea how they got the number as I am ex-directory. Even then my explicit instructions (which were highlighted on the package) were ignored.

maddiemookins16mum Thu 18-Aug-16 20:01:28

I've used them for five years. Never been let down....ever. I swear by Amazon (although, yes...sometimes it comes earlier than expected.

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 18-Aug-16 21:23:13

Set your preferences on Amazon with a designated safe space or a neighbour, you can add it just as you check out or in your account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now