To want to go get him?

(78 Posts)
Chintaria Sun 14-Aug-16 20:30:19

Okay, I live in Belgium and my 9 year old son is currently at a PGL camp in the UK. He's with his 2nd cousins that he doesn't really know, but when he was invited he was adamant he wanted to go.
He got there yesterday (after being taken to uk by my dad & staying 2 days with him) and he's really struggling. Had him on the phone in tears last night saying he wanted to come home, and then again this evening, although he did say that he had a brilliant day.
The call this evening was ended very suddenly when he said he was going to be sick and hung up. I finally got through to a staff member who said they'd given him Calpol and he was conked out in the sick bay. This is completely out of character for him, even when sick.

I just don't know what to do for the best - do I go collect him early (can be there Tuesday) or do I leave him to get on with it until Saturday when the camp finishes? I am completely torn 🙈
I think I just want to rescue him asap but I know that probably won't do him any good iykwim.
Help please, I need some opinions! (Kind ones please, am feeling rather panicked)

TheSparrowhawk Sun 14-Aug-16 20:32:20

9 is really young to be away from home on his own. Give him a ring tomorrow and see what he says - if he's still not settled go and get him.

blondieblonde Sun 14-Aug-16 20:32:21

Ah bless him! I'm the kind of parent who would go and get him, but also he would be fine if you leave him there. Perhaps see how he sounds tomorrow?

whateveryousay Sun 14-Aug-16 20:33:17

Go and get him, he's only 9. I also have a 9 year old ds, I feel for you 💐

sparepantsandtoothbrush Sun 14-Aug-16 20:33:36

Maybe he was tearful because he was coming down with a bug? I'd leave it and see how he is tomorrow as hard as it must be for you xx

OpenMe Sun 14-Aug-16 20:34:52

Sound to me last keep he's genuinely unwell and that's why he hasn't been enjoying himself

How soon can you be with him? If not til morning I'd leave it and see how he is tomorrow, otherwise I go fetch him

Lilaclily Sun 14-Aug-16 20:34:56

Is your dad still in the UK? Could he go ?
Did the staff member suggest you collect him ?

PirateFairy45 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:35:36

Personally I'd go get him but I'm a softie too.

Finola1step Sun 14-Aug-16 20:36:22

See how he feels first thing tomorrow. If he's feeling better, then good. If he is feeling poorly or still really homesick, ho get him.

Chintaria Sun 14-Aug-16 20:37:25

Staff member was very unconcerned and said they'd keep an eye on him. It didn't fill me with confidence tbh, and told her twice that he never normally goes to sleep at that time, it's completely out of character. She sounded quite young.
Yes, dad is in uk so could go and get him. I'm in the process of changing my ferry ticket to leave tomorrow instead of Tuesday. I just want to cry 😖

Waltermittythesequel Sun 14-Aug-16 20:37:29

My son is 9. I'd get him in a heart beat.

HairySubject Sun 14-Aug-16 20:38:15

I would wait it out and see how he is tomorrow. Can you speak to a staff member first though? My DD went camping with her dad for a week and was fine until she spoke with me on the phone. Most school trips my dc have been on have a no contact rule for that reason.

OlennasWimple Sun 14-Aug-16 20:39:40

If he's sick, they'll want him to go home soon anyway, I'd guess?

I'd leave it a day and see how he's doing

Imchangingmyname Sun 14-Aug-16 20:41:27

9 is very young to be away from home, in a foreign country at a camp. I've got a 5 year old DS and this makes me absolutely shudder. Go get him.

Sparkletastic Sun 14-Aug-16 20:43:56

Either you or your dad get him - whoever can make it first. 9 and ill trumps toughing it out.

superram Sun 14-Aug-16 20:44:28

I have been to pgl a number of times and he will be fine. If he is like the other kids he may have overdone the sweets!! Wait until tomorrow then decide -try not to worry x x

OpenMe Sun 14-Aug-16 20:44:45

Hairy makes a good point. I used to run guide camps (before mobile phones). The girls would be having a fantastic time all day, but come bedtime there would always be tears and I want to go home from some. They always told their parents what a great time they had afterwards though and came back next year.

But he's ill, which is different.

Witchend Sun 14-Aug-16 20:45:24

I would wait and phone tomorrow. From experience evenings and talking to mum on the phone are both flash points for homesickness.

My 9yo, who's a real homebody has just come back from a week away. He swore he didn't want to go. We had quivering bottom lip when mentioned. He clung to me as we drove there...
He had a wonderful time and left shouting "see you next year" and hasn't stopped talking about what they did (the fox poo in the front garden is apparently a fascinating topic).
I'd bet if he'd phoned me in the evening he'd have sobbed down the phone. But I have it on good authority there wasn't a tear from him.

And if he's really ill they won't want him so you'll be called to get him.

Heidi42 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:45:30

Get your dad cleared to go and fetch him until you get there, bless his heart. I hope he is ok my dear please let us know won't you

WeAreEternal Sun 14-Aug-16 20:46:52

My DS is 9, I would be on a flight tonight if he was that ill at a camp with no family with him.

I hope he is ok.

LuluJakey1 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:46:57

He will be fine. He is telling you he is having a good time during the day. See how he is tomorrow night before you do anything.

chocdonutyy Sun 14-Aug-16 20:48:48

No contact is the best way in these situations, kids have a great time till they hear mum/dad's voice and then suddenly want to go home!
However he does sound ill so I'd keep.in contact with the staff and see how he is in the morning and go from there

fastdaytears Sun 14-Aug-16 20:48:53

9 isn't that young for PGL but it doesn't help that you're so far away. He might be a lot better tomorrow, I would wait until then.

Doinmummy Sun 14-Aug-16 20:49:13

I went to brownie camp and hated it, I'd have given my right arm for my mum to have brought me home .

Poor lad I hope he's better tomorrow.

Pumpkin2010 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:50:23

I would go over & get him. If he wants to stay when I get there I'd stay there til the camp ends. Little holiday if he decides to stay wink
9 is quite young to be away from home though and if he's not well he's going to want his mum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now