To secretly think playing online chess is a complete waste of DH's time?

(24 Posts)
Ramonaramona73 Sat 13-Aug-16 21:56:35

It's how he unwinds, I understand that but he plays for hours. He doesn't have any other hobbies and doesn't exercise- it's just so sedentary. He says it's good for the brain but really confused? Anyone else have a dh who does this?

Egosumquisum Sat 13-Aug-16 22:09:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsJamieFraser Sat 13-Aug-16 22:11:29

It's no more a waste of time than you positing on here about his game playing!

MsJamieFraser Sat 13-Aug-16 22:13:40

I love chess also, I've yet to find a person to beat me, not bragging, just factual, but not many of my friends and family okay, I get hammered weekly on scabble and monopoly tho..

SwedishEdith Sat 13-Aug-16 22:17:22

He's probably playing my dp. I read out the thread title and his response was as per the first 2 posts. grin

PatriciaHolm Sat 13-Aug-16 22:17:26

Well, it is good for the brain, and problem solving. However, if he does nothing physically that's not great.

Mental stimulation is supposed to ward off dementia, so he's probably right that it's good for his brain.

I think YAB a bit U about this, I'm afraid.

Pimmmms Sat 13-Aug-16 22:18:58

Oh the irony of you posting on MN that your DH wastes time online.....

DeathStare Sat 13-Aug-16 22:20:36

Oh the irony of you posting on MN that your DH wastes time online

And the irony that we're all reading about it and joining in grin

Ramonaramona73 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:21:05

Damn you're right except I'm only on here for 30 mins at most.

Kstar8 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:22:23

Just showed this to my DH who is on his chess app morning and night. Had to reassure him I didn't start this thread grin

OhFuds Sat 13-Aug-16 22:23:06

I wonder what my DH thinks of me and my Candy Crush addiction I'm nearly on level 2000.

sunnydayinmay Sat 13-Aug-16 22:23:36

Which site is he on? I don't play, but was completely addicted to the Chess24 coverage during the British Championships. It's very amusing.

Bomb Sat 13-Aug-16 22:26:06

My, I wonder what you would think of my MN/Candy Crush/Pokemon/Slither addictions wink

I used to have a scrabble addition too but find the scrabble app too annoying

LongGrass Sat 13-Aug-16 22:27:02

I sometimes play online Chess, and I'm a gurl. I'm not "all that" at it though I would admit, but I find it a kind of fascinating game sometimes.

I did read somehwere that chess can be addictive like other activities, which I found slightly alarming!

What I think is that its OK for 30 minutes or something, it is relaxing and challenging in equal parts and I will suddenly want to do this, but usually only one shortish game or two. Also I have other things to do and other interests ... this may be part of your DH's problems.

I think all these kind of modern online potentially-addictive activities need to be somehow reigned in within strict structural time boundaries, but alot of people struggle to do this ...

LauraRoslin Wed 07-Sep-16 02:51:38

I really must get back into playing online chess. I think it might help my over-the-board play.

AnnaMarlowe Wed 07-Sep-16 02:58:25

I read. A lot.

Various friends who don't enjoy reading think it's a waste of my time.

<shrug> but it's my time so who cares.

If your husband enjoys the chess and finds it stimulating - why not?

OnceThereWasThisGirlWho Wed 07-Sep-16 03:42:47

All you chess people - is it possible to find a place to play in real life that isn't dominated by rather rude mansplainy types who nonetheless try to hit on you ? hmm grin (Actually maybe it's me - I get better by playing, not by someone trying to explain moves to me).

Meh. OP, it's not a complete waste of time but as LongGrass says, it's about balance. And he needs to be taking some kind of exercise. <goes off into muttery rant about men in general>

londonrach Wed 07-Sep-16 03:51:42

Havent played chess for years. Kinda got boring when i had no one who could beat me in my circle of family and friends. Jamie is nearby id love to play again. Very rusty so very easy to beat now. Op yabu we all relax different ways. 🎣🏊🏼🛀🎭🎼🎻🎲👾🎮🎹🎨. Some use mn, some read (my fav now), some go for a walk and some people play online chess!

tibbawyrots Wed 07-Sep-16 07:00:12

It's his time. Up to him how he spends it really. 🛀

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 07-Sep-16 08:27:35

It's only like me playing Scrabble on line which I love.

My dad used to play postal chess with a friend before the days of internet chess,I have fond memories of him asking me to chuck a postcard with his move in the letter box if I was going out.

He loves the fact he can play online now and plays with people from all over the world .

Yabusmile

CanadianJohn Mon 12-Sep-16 23:59:34

Upthread, someone wrote "I love chess also, I've yet to find a person to beat me, not bragging, just factual"

Unless your name is Magnus Carlsen, you've got to get out more...

LauraRoslin Wed 14-Sep-16 00:27:31

All right, MsJamieFraser, you're on.

1.d4

MissLadyM Wed 14-Sep-16 00:28:54

Chess is an excellent way to unwind and keep the mind active. Better than moaning on here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now