To ask if wearing a too tight bra/bikini can cause lumps

(9 Posts)
itwasmuchbetter Sat 13-Aug-16 11:46:54

I have been wearing a bikini with wired sides pretty much all the time for the past two weeks. Now I've noticed I have a couple if lumps under the skin surface over my ribs just to the side of my boobs. They are not painful. I have started panicking they are breast cancer. Has anyone else had this?

JellyBelly89 Sat 13-Aug-16 11:52:35

How tight are we talking? I haven't had it but then I can't bear to wear anything that tight either. And I'm a fan of whipping the bra off as soon as I get home so probably don't wear one as long as others do.

specialsubject Sat 13-Aug-16 11:55:52

Bras don't cause cancer or lumps. Very unlikely you have anything nasty but get to a gp.

itwasmuchbetter Sat 13-Aug-16 12:00:06

It was tight enough to leave a bit of an imprint when taken off.

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 13-Aug-16 12:11:45

Wouldn't hurt to see a gp. Bras can't cause cancer, ir anything really nasty. It's possible the skin is just irritated or has been pinched?
I have heard of bras causing abscesses in a couple of cases, but this is unlikely in your case I think.

SpaceDinosaur Sat 13-Aug-16 12:14:56

Poorly placed wires can, over time, cause callouses on the skin. Not a "lump" as such, just a hardening/toughening of the outer layer of the skin which is the body's way of protecting itself.

They can't cause cancer.

But. If you've found a lump and its new then go see your GP. It's absolutely the right thing to do.

mrsfuzzy Sat 13-Aug-16 12:17:26

you shouldn't be getting pain with a properly fitted bra, get checked out to put your mind at rest.

allypally999 Sat 13-Aug-16 12:30:54

I have a few lumps which I was told (by a consultant) were most likely caused by wearing wired bras for years .. definitely not cancer ... apparently I also have very lumpy boobs which is scary. Do be honest I don't check much as there are lumps to be found .. relying on scans to pick anything suspect up

itwasmuchbetter Sun 14-Aug-16 13:38:38

Thanks for replies. I will book in to see gp next week. Trying to stay calm but feeling worriedsad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now