When people say their dog is fine and won't bite?

(293 Posts)
marshamella Sat 13-Aug-16 07:14:33

Walking down the narrow road with my ds and hear a dog heavy breathing behind me. So I turn and tell the owner she can go infront. Her reply "it's ok he won't bite he's soft as anything" and stays behind us. With ds I couldn't walk fast so decided to cross the road when I didn't need to. Was this rude of her not to walk infront as she could see we were uncomfortable with a dog right behind us? I'd rather be the judge of weather or not I want the dog by us.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 13-Aug-16 07:19:29

Maybe she couldn't walk fast?
Maybe her dog couldn't walk fast?

Dogs get old, they get tired in hot weather, they stop and sniff and faff around a lot.

Don't assume the they could have easily walked in front of you.

daysarespinningfast Sat 13-Aug-16 07:21:42

If you were walking down a narrow road with your son, she'd have needed to go into the road to get past with the dog, so I think you were being the unreasonable one!

marshamella Sat 13-Aug-16 07:22:42

No seriously they were right behind us they could have walked fast as once I crossed the road they reached the end before us!

marshamella Sat 13-Aug-16 07:24:03

Days there was also a grass verge next to us which I'm sure the dog wouldn't have minded walking on tbh

DameSquashalot Sat 13-Aug-16 07:24:25

YANBU

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 13-Aug-16 07:25:17

You were on a public path. You can't dictate who walks where. I think ywbu and a little pfb.

NoahVale Sat 13-Aug-16 07:25:37

perhaps their dog kept stopping and sniffing, that's what they do,
perhaps if you had just stopped, they would have had to walk passed you.

passingthrough1 Sat 13-Aug-16 07:26:07

I do hate it when dog owners say that to. As opposed to what "actually you're right to look scared, the dog is violent and will almost certainly bite you."???

DeathStare Sat 13-Aug-16 07:26:14

Meh. Hardly a big deal is it?

NoahVale Sat 13-Aug-16 07:27:25

and how could she see you were uncomfortable.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 13-Aug-16 07:27:42

Maybe they didn't want to walk fast?
Maybe she wanted to be the judge of whether she should have walked fast or not?

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 13-Aug-16 07:27:42

Or, if you were that bothered, why didn't you just stop for a minute while they walked passed you?

passingthrough1 Sat 13-Aug-16 07:28:29

* too

daysarespinningfast Sat 13-Aug-16 07:28:43

As opposed to nothing at all, passing, I suppose.

Dogs are just part of the world. You don't have to have one or engage with one, but to insist one never comes within a certain radius of you and yours just isn't realistic.

Paintedhandprints Sat 13-Aug-16 07:33:13

It's a case of impinging on personal space really more than about the dog. No-one wants anyone breathing down their necks and hurrying them along when they are walking. Why didn't you stop on the grass verge and let them pass though
unless ot was covered in dog sh1t like everywhere else

Houseconfusion Sat 13-Aug-16 07:37:36

I will not be told where to walk on a road.

I will not be told where to walk on a road when my dog has done - fuck all.

This week's bash dogs thread.

veryproudvolleyballmum Sat 13-Aug-16 07:39:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NettleFarseer Sat 13-Aug-16 07:42:02

Ffs such a drama llama you are ophmm

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 13-Aug-16 07:43:04

hmm

Yes yabu

Toffeelatteplease Sat 13-Aug-16 07:46:21

I would have stopped and let the dog past.

but I do agree with hating the "its alright he's friendly routine". I don't bloody care whether he's friendly, my son is still petrified and made worse by idiots who don't keep their dogs to themselves angryangryangry

davos Sat 13-Aug-16 07:49:05

So you are annoyed the woman didn't walk where your told her to?

Yabu.

Mummaaaaaah Sat 13-Aug-16 07:49:12

Seriously? This was worth a post?

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 13-Aug-16 07:50:34

My DD doesn't like dogs near her so I pull her to the side and say "oo look a doggy!" from a safe distance. Not the dog owners problem that my 2.5yo for reasons DP and I don't understand as we both love dogs freaks out when a dog comes near her. And by near, I mean as close as walking around us.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 13-Aug-16 07:54:46

Toffee, where does the OP indicate the other woman was an idiot whose dog was out of control?

They were just minding their own business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now