to ask how you deal with boss who is threatened by you...

(8 Posts)
MarksandSpencerfoodjunkie Fri 12-Aug-16 14:31:29

I'm older and more experienced than my manager, I have off days with my job like everyone else but I know what my skills are and what I'm good at and where my weaknesses are. In the last few weeks my manager has been taking over stuff I normally do - even though they are tasks way above her pay grade. She's also been starting to pick holes in my work; now I know this work is up to scratch because I get it checked by several colleagues - who are on the same level as myself and are happy with my work (FYI if there are mistakes made it could cause legal problems so our work cannot go unchecked or left without loads of checks being made)
I don't know whether to confront my manager, as I can see what is happening. My fear is that the longer I'm in this job (I've been here since the beginning of the year) the worse it's going to get...

Floggingmolly Fri 12-Aug-16 14:34:18

How can your manager "manage" you when stuff you do is above her pay grade? And you've got more experience... confused. How on earth was she appointed to her position?

VladmirsPoutine Fri 12-Aug-16 14:40:42

This doesn't make sense. How is therefore your manager? confused

elelfrance Fri 12-Aug-16 14:42:46

is this one of those roles where the manager doesn't have your skills, but her role is to organise/manage etc ... ie she couldn't actually take over your roll, she just makes sure the team runs correctly ? (or is supposed to ?)

MarksandSpencerfoodjunkie Fri 12-Aug-16 14:53:03

Flogging I meant below her pay grade! Mistake

MarksandSpencerfoodjunkie Fri 12-Aug-16 14:54:42

I am overqualified for my role but not significantly, my manager has been here longer than me that is why she is senior. TBH I don't think she wanted me for the job, but her manager insisted she take me on.

MarksandSpencerfoodjunkie Fri 12-Aug-16 14:56:03

elefrance in theory she's not meant to, she is meant to co-ordinate all of us, but she's trying to do all our jobs... not just mine. So staff junior to myself are also getting slightly ousted.

elelfrance Fri 12-Aug-16 15:30:33

bloody awkward that...if she's taking over stuff you usually do, does she say why ? Can you "flatter" her .... 'oh I know you're so busy, let me manage that, its not trouble ...'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now