about chickenpox in the swimming pool

(14 Posts)
lilyboleyn Fri 12-Aug-16 12:00:50

...how would you feel about taking a child with visible chicken pox spots all over their face and body to the swimming pool? It would never, ever occur to me. Though we were in the pool today and there was a boy with loads and loads of them swimming happily with an adult. There were several of us that got out of the pool when we saw him because we didn't want to risk it with having babies. Is this a thing? Is it okay or AIBU and PFB? FWIW, they didn't look to have particularly scabbed over, and wouldn't the water just make the scabs more liable to come off?

NannyR Fri 12-Aug-16 12:05:19

Once they are scabbed over they are not infectious so I wouldn't have a problem with it. Plus it can take a good week (or three) for the spots to go once they are non infectious, you can't stay housebound till they disappear completely. I doubt anyone would take a child with active chickenpox swimming.

Cakescakescakes Fri 12-Aug-16 12:06:31

The spots can linger for weeks and weeks. They're not contagious 5 days after spots appear according to NHS guidance.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Fri 12-Aug-16 12:07:45

I think that's totally irresponsible especially if they had not even scabbed over properly. YANBU and I would have said something to the adult. Chickenpox is so dangerous for pregnant women and the immuno-compromised.

Witchend Fri 12-Aug-16 12:39:23

How do you know they're chicken pox? Ds once came out in a reaction that looked just like it, but definitely wasn't.
And if they're scabbed over they're safe anyway.

WhoseBadgerIsThis Fri 12-Aug-16 12:42:41

Really irresponsible if the spots are not scabbed over - chicken pox is contagion until the last blister is scabbed over (not just 5 days from the start of the spots). See: www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Prevention.aspx

WhoseBadgerIsThis Fri 12-Aug-16 12:43:40

To add to that, when I had chicken pox as an adult, it took almost 2 weeks for them all to scab over, so I stayed home the entire time

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 12-Aug-16 12:50:39

My first thought is eeew at all the scabs dropping off in the water <boak> envy

kiki22 Fri 12-Aug-16 12:58:35

Ds had chicken pox recently I waited until all the scabs had come off, you could still see the marks on him but there was no wound if you know what I mean just healed over skin.

I wouldn't have taken him before all the scabs came off it is kinda gross.

IceRoadDucker Fri 12-Aug-16 12:59:56

YANBU.

It would be unreasonable to expect a family to stay housebound for a month, but that's different from taking someone covered in spots into a public swimming pool.

OpenMe Fri 12-Aug-16 13:06:58

I don't think it was particularly irresponsible but I wouldn't have done it myself, mainly for fear of other's reactions

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Aug-16 13:10:25

I'd be worried about him picking up an infection too.

TVWife Fri 12-Aug-16 13:17:29

Chicken pox - should not be in a public pool

Blisters which have scabbed and scabs dropped off (not in the pool) is different

Other condition which looks like chicken pox - also different

reallyanotherone Fri 12-Aug-16 13:18:40

The chlorine will kill any active virus.

How about people with viruses such as hiv, hepatitis etc? You wouldn't have a clue.

It wouldn't bother me. There's probably far worse been in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now