To only buy one gift?

(25 Posts)
Smurfit Thu 11-Aug-16 08:59:37

I have a good friend who recently got engaged. I have been invited to the engagement party but am unsure about the status of a wedding invitation. At this stage, she has already said she had to be cut throat on the wedding guest list to keep costs down (which I fully support, they're bloody expensive!) so I don't want to assume.

WIBU to only buy a gift for the engagement party and for it to cover both events? It's going to cost a fair bit in flights and accommodation to attend either/both and she's aware I'm a bit skint at the moment.

Usually I don't buy engagement gifts but because I'm not sure about the wedding, in thinking I should make an exception (ie buy the wedding gift early)?

davos Thu 11-Aug-16 09:01:32

You have to fly in for the engagement party and then possibly fly in for the wedding?

If anyone was having to travel that far for an event of mine I wouldn't expect a present.

And, to be honest, I wouldn't fly in for an engagement party. Are you going to that because you don't know wether you are invited to the wedding?

KC225 Thu 11-Aug-16 09:03:50

Stick a shiny bow on your forehead. You are the gift if you have to fly in for an engagement party

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 11-Aug-16 09:06:37

Yanbu! I think that's really sensible. Maybe a token gift on the day like something homemade and just explain why. I'm sure she'll understand.

SoupDragon Thu 11-Aug-16 09:08:53

If she is a good friend, I would ask. Make it clear that you aren't fishing for an invitation, simply trying to budget for the next year.

NickyEds Thu 11-Aug-16 09:10:52

So you're not sure if you're invited to the wedding? I'm shameless so I'd probably ask! Tbh if I was skint and had to fly I'd just ask if I was invited to the wedding and if I was I'd be tempted to skip the engagement party altogether!

Smurfit Thu 11-Aug-16 09:12:29

Yes I'm going because I'm unsure about the wedding and yes I would need to fly to both (the wedding may be in a closer part of the country but flying is still better than an 8 her drive each way). She's a good friend and would do the same for me.

We live at opposite ends of the country and logistically, I live in an area which makes it difficult to get anywhere else.

I like the idea of a small (token) present on the wedding day if I'm invited, I'm not sure I can bring myself to turn up with just myself. I'm 100% sure she'd understand though.

Smurfit Thu 11-Aug-16 09:14:13

Tbh, I would probably go to both for this particular friend, as well as flying in for the hens night. I don't have many friends so the real ones I do have are pretty special too me.

But as per previous post, the wedding is likely to be much closer to me anyway.

allthebestplease Thu 11-Aug-16 09:15:47

Just ask her if you're invited to wedding, be nice about it and honest, if she's a friend she'll be honest and say yay or nay.

Smurfit Thu 11-Aug-16 09:20:16

Tbh, I don't want to put her in the awkward position of telling me I'm not invited (despite the fact I fully support and encouraged her to do what she could afford) confused

I am ridiculous and need to suck it up and ask.

I already told her I'd go. Which was a bit silly of me, I really should think things through before I say them! blush

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 11-Aug-16 09:35:01

No, you aren't ridiculous. I get why you don't want to ask, in case she feels pressured to do more than she can afford. I would be exactly the same with my lovely friends.

Chumpster Thu 11-Aug-16 09:35:58

I think engagement presents are daft, except for things like a bottle of bubbly or some other token of a celebration. I'd hold off from buying a pressie, and then even if you don't get invited to the wedding then still buy her a pressie when she gets married. Hopefully you'll be able to make it clear you understand why you weren't invited and that's fine, but wanted to mark the occasion with a gift.

MrsFrankRicard Thu 11-Aug-16 09:36:02

If it were me I would just take a bottle of fizz for the engagement party. Even something lower cost like a magnum of prosecco which is £12 in costco (and tastes nice), then regardless of whether I was invited to the wedding or not I would give a card and a voucher.

Sonders Thu 11-Aug-16 09:36:39

You could buy her a wedding gift regardless of whether or not your invited? I know it's slightly different but I've had a few people who've RSVP'd no to my wedding also ask for the guest list.

Stickerrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 09:38:24

I would do it the other way around. Give her a token engagement present and buy her a lovely wedding present regardless of whether or not you are invited. The engagement is just a party, whereas the wedding is for the rest of their lives!

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Thu 11-Aug-16 09:39:56

The guest list Sonders? Maybe they are not going because if who else is on there... ;)

Mamadothehump Thu 11-Aug-16 09:40:24

I agree with a bottle of bubbly as an engagement present - more than enough imo.

Without sounding harsh, an engagement is no guarantee than an actual marriage will happen!

Smurfit Thu 11-Aug-16 09:46:30

She knows I'll understand if I'm not invited. When she told me she was being ruthless I told her to go for it and spend money on a photographer instead so she could have lovely physical memories for her wall and kids grin the engagement party is her way of compensating for the small wedding, she's pretty popular so will have a lot of people who want to celebrate with her.

I'll definitely be getting her a nice gift - but I am convinced I'm not being unreasonable to limit it to just the one with a token for the other event.

Chumpster Thu 11-Aug-16 09:47:55

Great! Have fun!

YelloDraw Thu 11-Aug-16 09:49:50

You don't need to buy a gift at all FFS! Just take a 'congratulations on your engagement' card.

Catanddogmake6 Thu 11-Aug-16 09:54:05

Another idea for token engagement present is a wedding planner notebook. You always have so much to write down and samples to stick in pockets etc.

This one is personalised and only £10 inc delivery.
www.madebyellis.com/birds-wedding-notebook-personalised

ChocolateBudgeCake Thu 11-Aug-16 10:00:49

If you're going to do a token gift then the engagement is most appropriate. I agree with a bottle of fizz and a card, it's really all that's needed.

I think it would be unusual to do a big gift for engagement but not wedding. It just doesn't seem the right way round to me.

Mrs5boys Thu 11-Aug-16 10:03:31

A really lovely and not too expensive wedding gift is a handmade paper cut with their names and wedding date ,,, people sell them on eBay

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 11-Aug-16 10:05:47

Normally I would agree with what chocolate just said, but this doesn't sound like the usual engagement party / wedding set up as the engagement party will be a bigger affair than the wedding. I think, in these circumstances, a present for the engagement party and a token on the day is fine too.

Smurfit Thu 11-Aug-16 10:10:36

Some lovely ideas!

I know I don't need to buy a gift however, I want to, thus the dilemna. However it seems like there isn't really a 'correct' way which is great! I can't lose grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now