To feel like a freak because of my skin

(5 Posts)
Bertiebottsbum Thu 11-Aug-16 07:21:29

I feel like I have the worst skin ever.
I have 4 large raised coloured moles on my face (numerous ones elsewhere)
I have dysplastic nevus syndrome which means I have hundreds of unusual moles all over my body and lots of scars from where I have had moles removed. I have had one malignant melanoma removed but luckily not further treatment was required.
Lots of flat coloured moles of my face as well as some age spots. Two new raised skin coloured moles have appeared in the last 2 years on my face.
I have a number of visible angiomas on my face with some spider veins
In the last 5 years I have started to develop dermatofibromas. I now have about 15. The largest one is on my leg, about the size of a five pence piece and very prominent. My legs were the only area that wasn't scarred or freakish and now they are.
And, lucky old me I have 3, yes I said 3, extra nipples.
I see other people with normal skin and feel jealous, depressed and want to go around with a bag over my head. Am on holiday at the moment so I am very aware of my skin and other peoples.

cheeseandmarmite15 Thu 11-Aug-16 07:52:36

I could write, aren't you lucky to have full use of your limbs or something else contrite!

However, skin covers the whole of our body and is often the one thing we feel that most self conscious about. I can u reference that you feel emotionally debilitated.

I have googled some of the things you have mentioned and it does seem that there are no preventative measures and whilst some things can be removed, they may leave scarring and you will probably have to pay privately.

I don't know if a fake tan would give you some confidence as it may help blend some of the 'blemishes' and make your skin appear more even.

You don't have to appear obviously fake, there are many gradual tans that look natural and you can even just add a few drops of fake tan to your usual moisturiser.

You can boost your confidence by making sure you have fabulous hair, nails and look after your teeth.

You may feel as if everyone is noticinfnyiur skin but in reality we are more likely to notice great hair!

Do go back to your gp and tell them that your skin problems are making you feel down and that you are interested in any new treatments that become available.

Hold your head high, your skin is a part of you but not all of you.

upthewolves Thu 11-Aug-16 08:02:56

I suffered with cystic acne throughout my teens and twenties and I sympathise with you OP because I understand how it feels to be so self conscious about your skin.all I can say is that I guarantee people do not think you are a freak and you would probably be surprised how few people notice. After my skin cleared up I was finally able to talk to a couple of friends about how deeply it had affected me (I could not speak about it at all at the time and I was convinced everyone was talking about it behind my back/ feeling sorry for me etc) - my friends were genuinely surprised and could not recall my skin being that bad. And I'm telling you, to me it was horrific and I had been referred to a dermatologist by my GP without question when I finally had gotten the courage to go! Basically, people are too wrapped up in their own insecurities to notice anyone elses!

cheeseandmarmite15 Thu 11-Aug-16 10:34:23

I agree. I am a people watcher of sorts as my job is customer based and I see all kinds of people from every walk of life. I look out for hair styles, lipstick colours, clothing, jewellery and footwear to inspire me.

You could have a massive nose but if you have a lovely pair of earrings on, my eyes are looking at them!

When I was at school there was a girl from a wealthy family. The parents were divorced and tried to outdo each other by buying her the largest and most expensive clothing etc. She had her hair professionally cut, coloured and styled from a young age. She was actually quite nice despite being so spoiled. She was however, supremely self confident. Not showy off but just assumed she was the bees knees because she was so fantastically turned out.

She didnt have the best features or the best figure but because she was so completely self assured and happy in herself she had all the good looking boys wanting to take her out!

What I am saying is that you don't have to strut around like a peacock, but if you are confident it is much more attractive than if you are slumped and trying to hide yourself away.

formerbabe Thu 11-Aug-16 10:38:44

I think you are probably far more aware of your skin than anyone else. Most people are so wrapped up in themselves, they wouldn't notice you have a few moles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now