To not give him the milk?

(19 Posts)
BastardBernie Wed 10-Aug-16 21:00:00

My DS is 17 weeks and is a very content baby. So far I have been extremely lucky that he has pretty much slept 7-7 every night since 6 weeks.
The poor little guy has started teething lately and out of the last 7 days he has woken up for milk at 2am and 6am. He goes back down after the milk but this is a bottle a day if not two more than what he is having normally and my God is he lovely and chubby!)
I really enjoy the chub but I obviously wish to keep an eye on it and was wondering whether I can give him water when he wakes at night?
Thanks

kimlo Wed 10-Aug-16 21:01:39

Its the 4 month growth spurt, he needs the milk. It will settle down soon.

Oly5 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:02:44

17 weeks is tiny
Just give him the milk

DixieNormas Wed 10-Aug-16 21:03:57

Agree, 4 month sleep regression give him the milk and don't worry about weight

BastardBernie Wed 10-Aug-16 21:04:15

Thank you both smile

NicknameUsed Wed 10-Aug-16 21:05:52

I agree. He is too little to withhold feeds.

Topseyt Wed 10-Aug-16 21:08:31

He could teething and also going through a growth spurt.

I would give the milk for now. Move onto water later if it doesn't stop. Not just yet perhaps.

BestZebbie Wed 10-Aug-16 21:13:24

Babies get chubby just before they suddenly grow and slim out again. At 17 weeks and two extra bottles of milk he is not an obese baby and you are not a parent-who-has-made-their-child-fat-and-can't-see-it. He is just a baby.

If you feed him less, he will still follow the pattern of getting chubby and then slimming and stretching a bit, but it will take longer to build up to each growth spurt, so he will have slightly fewer of them in the same time period, so he will be slightly smaller overall at every age. Taken to great extremes, this is why people who are malnourished as babies end up shorter as adults than people who are very well-fed.

NeedACleverNN Wed 10-Aug-16 21:13:36

Yes give him the milk. He obviously needs it

BastardBernie Wed 10-Aug-16 21:14:16

I appreciate your thoughts, thank you. I don't wish to deny him but I also don't want to create a habit if you see what I mean.?
Do you have any tips for teething in general, it's been a while since I've had a newborn blush

BastardBernie Wed 10-Aug-16 21:15:45

I completely agree with the chubby and then growth spurt Best

GordonRamzee Wed 10-Aug-16 21:16:50

He needs the milk.

Teething - Anbesol, Weleda-Chamomilla granules and cold teethers.

Maya15 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:31:07

my daughter drank more in the night when she was teething. it will pass - you won''t create a habit. he is too small for water.

PeppaIsMyHero Wed 10-Aug-16 21:35:37

They vary in their milk requirements as they grow up - roll with it. Babies are incapable of being greedy. smile

2kids2dogsnosense Wed 10-Aug-16 21:40:21

What bestZebbie said.

HelenF35 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:42:12

If he wants the milk give him it. He's only tiny.

Sandsnake Wed 10-Aug-16 21:44:31

Another vote for he needs the milk.

Anbesol, Bonjela, Calpol and baby Nurofen. Don't bother with the amber teething bracelet thingies.

pointythings Wed 10-Aug-16 21:46:52

You can't instil 'bad habits' in a baby as young as that. Let him have the milk, he's in the middle of a monster growth spurt.

I'm not a fan of abolishing night feeds at an arbitrary cut-off point either - all babies are different and some need night feeds for longer than others.

5madthings Wed 10-Aug-16 21:49:53

My baby is 18 was and weighs ten and a half kgs. Wearing 9-12 and 12-18mths clothes. He feeds on demand.

Your little one has been sleeping amazingly but this is classic sleep regression, growth spurt age.

Give him milk, you aren't supposed to give little babies water until they are on solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now