Or am I being ungrateful?

(8 Posts)
ALICEinwonders Tue 09-Aug-16 21:37:40

Pregnant with dc1.
Some friends have offered to give some of the shit they no longer need, some of which I have gratefully received and some I have declined. I've told everyone I have what I need now, im quite fussy- not bothered about anything being second hand and im sure im being a bit pfb but for eg i dont want my newborn in jeans and hard shoes or in second hand car seats ect, yet one friend in particular seems to think it's appropriate to turn up at my door with big bags of crap including broken toys suitable for toddlers+, now even if these toys werent broken, I have no room for them just yet as dc won't be able to use them for 2 years. I just feel as though I'm being used as a tip and when questioned about said toys they were apparently too expensive to throw away! I don't know if I'm being unreasonable/ ungrateful/ hormonal and I know it doesn't really matter but now I have to go out my way to take numerous bin bags of shit to the tip!
AIBU to feel this way?

Helloitsme88 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:40:01

Yes

Arfarfanarf Tue 09-Aug-16 21:40:45

Not at all. You just need to be assertive.
I am really grateful for the thought but i do not have space and cannot keep these things. Would you like to come and collect them or should i donate them to a charity shop?

If they are offended that is unfortunate but people cannot force stuff on you despite your protests then play the victim.

NeedACleverNN Tue 09-Aug-16 21:41:02

Yanbu

You seem to be a dumping ground to get rid of old things.

1stworldproblemms Tue 09-Aug-16 21:42:46

Not at all. If you've said you have everything then of course they can offer but they shouldn't just turn up at your house with stuff. Especially the toys, if your DC can't use them for 2+ years then why would your friend think you want them? Sounds like she just wanted to dump them on someone.

alexhurton1994 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:44:49

YANBU I hate it when people do this. You should never accept a second hand car seat. I was given two and they went straight to the tip. They're just not safe. As for the other stuff, be assertive or go straight to the charity shop.

DementedUnicorn Tue 09-Aug-16 22:58:27

YANBU

I'm exactly like yourself OP, no problem with second hand but prefer to choose my own stuff. I just nod and smile now and say thanks and chuck it straight out

ToriaPumpkin Tue 09-Aug-16 23:38:22

YANBU. I was the first of my friends to have children so we've passed a lot of things on but not car seats, not stained clothes and not toys that weren't clean/good condition/age appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now