To think I can avoid weight gain when I stop BF?

(16 Posts)
Badgoushk Mon 08-Aug-16 15:44:04

DD2 is 10 months and EBF plus baby led weaning. I'm almost back to normal BMI but worried about gaining weight when I eventually stop BF! I exercise 3-4 times a week and can't squeeze in any more unfortunately. I don't want to eat less!! Did anyone who is normal BMI find they could still eat well once BF stopped?! Please tell me your story. Thanks xxx

Badgoushk Mon 08-Aug-16 15:45:10

P.S. I eat 2000 kcal a day which I know for some people is a lot but I enjoy eating (healthily) and feeling full! Ha ha! X

HeddaLettuce Mon 08-Aug-16 15:48:20

I never put weight on when I stopped BF ,after a year or more each time.

IceBeing Mon 08-Aug-16 15:53:40

If you have been losing when BFing then I don't see why that will change when you stop? Your body will recognise the calorie output has gone and moderate down your appetite - just like if you started more exercise you would want to eat more.

If you definitely want to keep eating the same, then you will have to find a way to burn more or your will gain weight. Simple maths makes it so. But my guess is you will want to eat less once you stop BFing....

BossWitch Mon 08-Aug-16 15:56:09

I didn't put weight back on when I stopped, and I lost loads of weight while breastfeeding.

Badgoushk Mon 08-Aug-16 16:02:09

Thanks everyone. I'm sure you're right that I'll want to eat less but I just can't imagine it now! They say you use 4-500 calories a day BF and I don't want to eat that much less. Ha!!

Nan0second Mon 08-Aug-16 16:09:10

I gained 5kg when I stopped at a year. It's overeating with me though and not enough exercise. Sigh.

jellyfrizz Mon 08-Aug-16 16:11:31

I lost weight when I stopped breast feeding. I was hungry ALL the time whilst feeding, once I stopped I just wasn't as hungry any more. I still enjoy my food but just can't put as much away!

Crunchymum Mon 08-Aug-16 16:28:48

Am hoping to go the same way Jelly as I lost feck all whilst feeding!

Filiboom Mon 08-Aug-16 16:30:14

Apparently, your stomach stores fat when you're breast-feeding.

I've no idea how much that is true, but I lost a lot of weight when I stopped feeding DS2. He was 22 months then and I'd basically been pregnant or bf for about four years, and the biggest I've been. I'm pretty much back to pre-pregnancy weight now without really doing anything (foot and ankle problems mean exercise is tricky and I've never been good at dieting). I'm not slim, slim but am at upper end of my normal BMI (largely because I do love food, can't exercise easily and am short) and am a lot happier with my figure than I was a year ago.

I've got friends who had a similar thing happen.

Filiboom Mon 08-Aug-16 16:31:20

Oh, and likewise, after the immediate post-birth weight loss, I didn't lose anything when actually feeding! Felt very cheated by that....

frenchknitting Mon 08-Aug-16 16:37:57

I found my appetite went way down when I stopped ebf. They tell you about all the extra calories you will burn, but they don't tell you that you will constantly crave cake.

GloGirl Mon 08-Aug-16 16:40:01

YANBU, I put weight on breastfeeding as I felt so tired all the time, I needed carbs and sugar.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Mon 08-Aug-16 16:44:21

I also lost weight when I stopped BF as I think I over-ate while feeding DD and because I was just naturally going back to pre-preg weight (OK a few lbs heavier - still am), as time went by anyway. I wasn't EBF though, if that makes a difference.

Birdsgottafly Mon 08-Aug-16 16:46:16

As you are conscious of what you eat, you won't put weight on.

My DD has had to up her exercise, since stopping BF and wanting to drop weight, or rather change what exercise that she does and she's gone down to a lower weight and less body fat than pre pregnancy.

She's switched to using weights and bike riding (with baby seat).

shannonocmarie Wed 02-Nov-16 21:59:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now