Shameless not an AIBU HELP!!!

(7 Posts)
Tryingtostayyoung Mon 08-Aug-16 15:23:35

I know this isn't an AIBU but I need answers and I've put elsewhere and not heard anything back...

I've just bought an electric radiator from a friend of a friend, turned it on whilst there to check it worked, I've come home and plugged it in to show my DM, within 60seconds I could smell like a rotten egg smell, turned it off straight away. Any ideas what this is? Maybe just because it's not been on properly for a really long time?! Really frustrated. 😡

OlennasWimple Mon 08-Aug-16 15:25:13

Heaters can get dusty, and it takes a while to burn off before they stop smelling

Not sure that would be like rotten egg though - are you sure that's what it's like?

Flappyhat Mon 08-Aug-16 15:25:53

Only time I have had that was when there was a problem with the socket and electrics not the appliance. I would get an electrician round.

Flappyhat Mon 08-Aug-16 15:26:57

Could you try it in a different socket?

Birdsgottafly Mon 08-Aug-16 15:30:10

I've got electric heaters out of the loft and they've let off a smell, for a while.

I'd put it somewhere it won't do much damage, if it shorts and leave it on.

There's a 'burning off' stage, for most old things, I think.

Flappyhat Mon 08-Aug-16 15:31:53

Actually thinking about it when it was a problem with our electrics it was more a fishy smell.

Tryingtostayyoung Mon 08-Aug-16 15:34:29

Thanks everyone, I actually now do think it's because it's not been turned on for a while and only been used a few times because I just re read the instructions and it says that it will let off an odour when you first use it for a while and I know that it has only been used two or three times for a very short period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now