To ask about anniversaries

(32 Posts)
WarwickDavisAsPlates Sun 07-Aug-16 08:59:50

In every relationship I've been in the other person has always wanted to celebrate our "anniversary". I've never really seen the appeal. I get the big ones like, 10, 20, 50 years together, that's kind of impressive.

I guess I'd just someone to explain the appeal to me.

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Aug-16 09:07:08

It's just a celebration of the day you got married. What is there to understand? confused

raisedbyguineapigs Sun 07-Aug-16 09:08:08

For us it's just an excuse to go out for a nice meal and do something nice. Not a big deal. Even our recent 10th was a trip to the theatre and a nice dinner.

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Aug-16 09:17:51

It was our 20th this year. We went out for breakfast. smile

SanityClause Sun 07-Aug-16 09:21:33

Okay, it's important to your partner, but not important to you.

I'm sure there are things your partner doesn't get, that are a big deal to you?

It's like that.

Have you seen Parks and Recreation? A bit like Leslie Knope, Ben Wyatt and Lil Sebastian.

davos Sun 07-Aug-16 09:24:11

We don't really celebrate. But I totally get the appeal. Tbh another successful year together is something to be happy about.

And let's be honest even if it's just an excuse to go out, get each other something nice. Why not, if it suits you?

Neither me or dh are that fussed. So it works.

Can you compromise if you really don't want to and your dp does?

Amelie10 Sun 07-Aug-16 09:24:40

Some people like to celebrate the day they got married. What's so difficult to wrap your head around confused

MsJamieFraser Sun 07-Aug-16 09:27:53

I don't get, that you don't get this tbh

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Aug-16 09:29:13

Yes it's a fairly easy to understand concept isn't it? grin

FiveFullFathoms Sun 07-Aug-16 09:29:52

I don't get what's difficult to understand? For most people it's an opportunity to go out, have a nice meal and spend time with their partner. That's the appeal. confused

OnionKnight Sun 07-Aug-16 09:31:54

How is it difficult to understand, it's not rocket science.

Lules Sun 07-Aug-16 09:32:04

Because it's nice to go out and it's nice to remember a really special day

Drquin Sun 07-Aug-16 09:34:52

I guess the appeal is that you're marking, acknowledging your relationship, hopefully the strength in it if you're at another anniversary date. Whether it's a wedding anniversary or another special date, it's time to celebrate what is hopefully a good part of your life.

Doesn't need to be extravagant, all flowers & diamonds and swanky restaurants.

But, it's fine if you don't see it as important ..... We're all different. But, if your DP is important to you, then it might be nice to acknowledge this is important for them, even if you're a bit ambivalent.

Crunchymum Sun 07-Aug-16 09:35:33

We're not married and won't ever be, I don't even know our exact anniversary - which I class as the day we met (think it's 3rd or 4th August). It was a long time ago now!!!

EndofSummerLooming Sun 07-Aug-16 09:36:23

Ours have got more important the longer we have been together.

WarwickDavisAsPlates Sun 07-Aug-16 09:46:46

But what if you haven't had a good year? Like what if you're on the verge of slipping up? Do you still celebrate then?

We don't have enough money to celebrate stuff like that input relationship tbh. So we don't tend to actually do anything. My DH does care about it more than me but not enough to make a fuss.

MrsPatrickDempsey Sun 07-Aug-16 09:47:41

It's my silver wedding anniversary in the next couple of weeks and I am a bit surprised about the expectation among some family and friends that we have have a massive celebration involving all of them. Each to their own and it's nice that they want to celebrate but I consider it to be a personal thing betwen DH and I really. We are planning to spend the day together without the children. Disagree with pp - I'd quite like some diamonds!

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Aug-16 09:48:36

If you are on the verge of splitting up then I would imagine you wouldn't celebrate, no.

<baffled>

dementedma Sun 07-Aug-16 09:50:14

29 years tomorrow. Meh. We don't really bother with it. Another year of not murdering each other achieved.

OldBeanbagz Sun 07-Aug-16 09:53:08

We don't generally make a big fuss over our anniversaries but went away on city breaks (without DC) for our 10th & 20th.

Next big one is a couple of years off but coincides with my 50th birthday so we may have a party (DD's idea) or go away on a long haul trip as a family (my idea).

PageStillNotFound404 Sun 07-Aug-16 09:53:23

Well it's not compulsory OP, so you're in luck. Although if your DH would like to mark it in some small way, where's the harm in indulging him? Assuming you're still together because you still enjoy each other's company and like doing things together.

ALLthedinosaurs Sun 07-Aug-16 09:53:42

We celebtate every year, just a card and a nice day together. Nothing fancy. Isn't it nice to say "Aww... 7 years ago" and think about all the things that you've done/happened since? Thats the appeal to me.

Ex DP wanted to celebrate "Monthversaries" hmm that was fucking draining but I just did it because it was important to him.

Salmotrutta Sun 07-Aug-16 09:54:18

grin dementedma over 30yrs here and we only really bother with the "big" ones like our silver anniversary.

Come to think of it the next one will be Ruby [shock

FiveFullFathoms Sun 07-Aug-16 09:54:21

Well, if you're on the verge of splitting, then you're unlikely to want to celebrate yourselves as a couple are you? confused. This thread is confusing. Is it state the obvious day or something?

Pauperback Sun 07-Aug-16 09:54:26

We've been very happily married for four and a half-ish years and neither of us has more than the vaguest idea of when our anniversary is, which horrifies some family members.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now