(126 Posts)
JackandDiane Sat 06-Aug-16 18:24:07

I would stand by my recycling bin
Please use glasses

Noonesfool Sat 06-Aug-16 18:24:48

Yup.

I think you would like #wewantplates Jack

Katedotness1963 Sat 06-Aug-16 18:25:14

My son has two of those, they're his favourite glasses. The lids and the straws drive me mad!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 06-Aug-16 18:28:09

What are you drinking, soft drinks or cocktails?

MaudeandHarold Sat 06-Aug-16 18:30:09

I had a torte on a slab of slate the other day. The coulis sauce dribbled off onto the table. My daughter nearly left the table because she cannot stand the sound of cutlery scratching ! The #wewantplates is hilarious!

JackandDiane Sat 06-Aug-16 18:30:20

oh yes seen that before.
ITs the THING at weddings

So not glam

Muddlingthroughtoo Sat 06-Aug-16 18:30:22

Ahh, now I get what you were on about on the other thread. I feel the same about jam jars as glasses but that big dispenser one full of alcohol sounds good. And definitely bring plates back, I don't want a chopping board/tray/slate/bed pan or any other excuse for a plate.

CakeNinja Sat 06-Aug-16 18:32:39

Doesn't really bother me!
As long as it's holding the drink suitably, couldn't care less how it's served really.
Not keen on martini glasses, very shallow and wide and vast amounts of very expensive cocktails manage to slosh out and on to my clothes.
Also, regarding plates, not that fussed about what it comes on, again so long as it's a suitable vessel. No point serving anything with gravy on something like a board as it'll just go everywhere.

P1nkP0ppy Sat 06-Aug-16 18:32:47

As for wooden chopping boards for steaks that skid off onto your lap 😡😡
Who's bloody bright idea was it???

DonkeyOaty Sat 06-Aug-16 18:45:23

I remember years ago, probably 10, 12? Anyway. A chichi little Indian restaurant in South Ken served our chicken passanda in weeny beaten copper buckets.

Jam jars I dont like. Jam jars are for jam <folds arms>

knittykitty66 Sat 06-Aug-16 18:49:36

One time I was at a hotel for chamber of commerce lunch. Came to pudding & it was cheesecake & ice cream. Waiting staff came into room to serve everyone with it on those trendy slate things. The ice cream went rolling off it onto the carpet and across a section of the room then was nearly trod into carpet/ slipped on by waiter near front of the line. We all looked at each other trying not to laugh whilst "chamber ladies" scrambled on floor with napkins to help. grin

snowgirl29 Sat 06-Aug-16 18:55:18

YNBU! I'm veggie, went in this new place and decided to treat myself to the vegetable pot thinking it was a hotpot thing. Nope. It was vegetables, in an actual medium plant pot thing, it's been months and I'm still outraged grin

NewgatesKnockers Sat 06-Aug-16 18:55:25

Mason jars as drinking glasses have been around here for ages - I've finally had enough, and started asking for a proper glass.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 06-Aug-16 18:59:45

I do have one of those jars with a lid and a straw on my bedside table so that I don't slop cold water all over myself and the bed in the middle of the night...

topcat2014 Sat 06-Aug-16 19:00:10

On a caravan park last week, the chips came in 'mini' deep fat fryer style baskets.

Couldn't decide whether that was cool or not.

Still ate the chips though.

UsernamesAreAPainInTheBalls Sat 06-Aug-16 19:02:14

YA so NBU ✋🏼✋🏼 the wankery must be stopped.
Although my friend told me a hilarious story a few weeks ago about being on a date and was served chips in a mini wheelbarrow 🙄 Which then proceeded to wheel off the table onto the floor and ruined her chips 😂😂😂😂

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 06-Aug-16 19:03:52

Or the scankie little chopping board or price of slate.

Give me a fucking plate

wizzywig Sat 06-Aug-16 19:04:37

Yes the wankertmustbestopped

2protecttheinnocent Sat 06-Aug-16 19:05:33

Possibly rather outing because od be shocked of more than one place did this but I see your Mason jars and Jan hard and raise you a milk shake serves in a

MILK BOTTLE WTAF???

NickiFury Sat 06-Aug-16 19:05:34

I don't really mind a Jam jar, especially with a lid and a straw for my kids. But slates and boards with no edges for food really piss me off. The "puree" mash just gets into the creases of the slate and you can't get at it and how do they clean them properly as well? No, no, no, NO!

TroysMammy Sat 06-Aug-16 19:06:51

My Grandmother used jam jars as glasses. With 12 children money was tight.

Thisismyalias Sat 06-Aug-16 19:08:40

Proper moonshine out of a jam jar, in the back yard of a friend in Maryland, is amazing. Yabu.

liz70 Sat 06-Aug-16 19:11:05

"On a caravan park last week, the chips came in 'mini' deep fat fryer style baskets."

We were at Parkdean Hayling Island last month and they did that there. I thought it was kind of cute.

MadamDeathstare Sat 06-Aug-16 19:11:14

From The Ladybird Book of The Hipster

'Hipsters think plates are so old fashioned. They prefer to eat from planks, tiles, and first generation ipads. (Accompanying picture is of a gingerbread man on a baking tray) This tofu self-identifying cross species is being served on a srpin-loaded folder that contacins the script of short film about a skatefoarding shoelace designer'.

I still think the drink dispenser is a good idea though. We always have our parties outside and there are a lot of bugs around here. Nothing worse than finding a moth or a mahogany wasp in your Boone's Farm Blackberry wine.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sat 06-Aug-16 19:11:52

Walk into a restaurant that's serving food on a slate or bread in a flat cap and walk straight out again. It's a handy indicator that the food is going to be towards the bottom of the owner's priorities. It's all a load of "ironic" bollocks and is not to be rewarded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now