To not let neighbours children play in my garden

(19 Posts)
tireddotcom72 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:44:10

I live in the middle of 2 houses that have 5 year olds who are friends and are always outside playing together - no problem with that as my dd now nearly 13 and her friend from a few doors down were the same at that age. However the last few days they have taken to running across my front grass when playing and shouting at each other right outside my living room window. The houses have front gardens we are not directly on the pavement. I had to go out and ask them not to play there this morning as they were so loud! Next thing the mum of one of them tells me the children have noticed we have a pool in our garden and can the boys play in it later! She was most put out when I said no and told me her child is going to be really upset as they really want to go in it.

Buggers Sat 06-Aug-16 10:46:16

She asked if they can play in your pool?! Tell her to get her own bloody swimming pool! Cheeky sodshock!

blueturtle6 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:46:22

Tell her paddling pools are a tenner at most supermarkets yanbu

FayKorgasm Sat 06-Aug-16 10:46:24

Thats very cheeky of her asking can her child play in your pool. Who would be the free babysitter one supervising them?

mrgrouper Sat 06-Aug-16 10:47:11

I allow some of the neighbours kids to play in the garden but exclude others. There are 2 kids who have made racist remarks towards an Asian family on the street and called a 5 year old neighbour's girl a fat cow. I will not have them anywhere near my son.

Shizzlestix Sat 06-Aug-16 10:48:08

Risking the wrath of mumsnet-mumtitlement! Cheeky fekker! Repeat no (it's a complete sentence!) and make the effort to go and tell the kids to keep off your property until they get the message. Could you fence off your garden?

tireddotcom72 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:50:53

My garden is fenced off! One child is currently being told off by dad for running across my garden! I get on with the mums normally but was totally speechless at the request!

tireddotcom72 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:51:20

My garden is fenced off! One child is currently being told off by dad for running across my garden! I get on with the mums normally but was totally speechless at the request!

Discobabe Sat 06-Aug-16 11:09:47

Yanbu. Talk about trying it on. My neighbour once sent her 3/4 yo kid round "my mum said I can come play at your house" errrr no! I'm not a free babysitting service, I have my own kids to look after thanks.

rollonthesummer Sat 06-Aug-16 11:12:26

Swimming pool or paddling pool?

Arkhamasylum Sat 06-Aug-16 11:14:02

And, apart from anything else, who would be responsible for their safety? You?

Fingers crossed they don't fancy a go in your car later smile

YADNBU!

tireddotcom72 Sat 06-Aug-16 11:22:23

It's a 12ft fast set pool so not something you would be leaving 5 year olds unattended in! The cover is off and I'm now worried the kids are going to try and sneak into my garden! Going to be constantly checking the gate is locked. We are having a bbq later I can see it now 1 dd and her friends playing in pool whilst next door children staring over the fence making us feel guilty about not letting them join in.

pictish Sat 06-Aug-16 11:44:05

Oh yadnbu! It's your garden, not a visitor attraction or a creche.

I would further impress your boundaries by continuing to discourage the little ones from using your front garden as communal access. This lets the families know either side that you want your space and privacy respected.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 06-Aug-16 11:45:16

Don't feel guilty.

The child's Mother is a cheeky bugger, ignore any sad faces looking at you over the fence and enjoy the bbq.

Some people are born piss takers, your neighbour is one of them.

rollonthesummer Sat 06-Aug-16 11:45:58

Very cheeky. Can you put some pots/a wall/boundary up between your front gardens as well?

Remember that thread a few years back where a lady kept letting herself into the OP's pool for a swim when she was out?!

pictish Sat 06-Aug-16 11:54:45

I remember that! grin

At a stretch I can see that it's kind of alright to ask...if they are on friendly terms and all that. It's a cheeky one but not a shocker.

What's not alright is being put out at the no.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 06-Aug-16 11:56:33

That swimming pool thread was terrific grin, loved it.

I wonder if she tried it on again after the thread ended?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RosieTheCat Sat 06-Aug-16 14:51:51

Very cheeky but If your really worried about them sneaking in you can get a pool alarm we have one due to living next door to a campsite and people drunks sneaking in, it shouldn't be up to you or us to do this as the pool is fenced in but it may take the worry away
I don't know which alarm we have but similar to this
garden.jardinitis.com/m/productos/piscinas-y-spas/piscinas-de-plastico/accesorios-para-piscinas-bestway-y-de-chapa/alarma-flotante--para-piscinas-bestway?gclid=CIWyifP2rM4CFVS4GwodOrQBzQ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now