About car seat insurance claim

(10 Posts)
DesignedForLife Fri 05-Aug-16 08:38:49

My parents had a prang recently with DD in the car, in her brand new car seat. Parents are insisting that it was a glance and the car seat is fine, but they want to claim it on their insurance so that they can have a car seat for her.

I'm insisting that if the car seat needs replacing then we should get the replacement, like for like, and that the old one should be destroyed. Apparently I'm being out of order and should accept whatever replacement they can find. I'm not happy with that as we paid a lot of money to have an extended rear facing car seat for safety, and one that swivels to save my back. I'm now not being talked to.

AIBU?

Nightfall1983 Fri 05-Aug-16 08:42:02

They are being ridiculous. Either it's insurance fraud or else your car seat is no longer safe. If it's the former it's illegal and if it's the later you need a new seat for her in your car. hmm

YumYumThePig Fri 05-Aug-16 08:42:10

So the insurance won't pay for a new one? Surely if it's on the insurance it will be the same?

YumYumThePig Fri 05-Aug-16 08:43:39

After re reading it sounds like they want aspire baby seat for their car. Is that right?

CookieLady Fri 05-Aug-16 08:44:14

Most insurance company will have a limit for on how much they are willing to pay when replacing car seats.

SchnooSchnoo Fri 05-Aug-16 08:44:41

So they want to give you back the damaged one and use the money to buy one for themselves? They ABU.

Pearlman Fri 05-Aug-16 08:45:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HandbagCrazy Fri 05-Aug-16 08:49:32

Why don't you contact your parents insurance (assuming they've reported the accident) and claim directly from them?
As long as you can provide proof of how much you paid (link to the same one online / receipt) you should be OK to claim. I work in car insurance and this is our procedure.

Also, your parents are being reductions. They want to claim for the expensive seat, buy a cheap one and pocket the difference, when it isn't theirs to claim for!

HandbagCrazy Fri 05-Aug-16 08:50:44

* ridiculous not reductions blush

Phillipa12 Fri 05-Aug-16 09:02:15

If a car seat is being replaced due to an accident then the original is clearly not fit for use, and yes its most definately like for like. If your child broke something of theirs that was expensive they would expect a replacement of the same value and not a cheap copy........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now