AIBU Neighbours

(18 Posts)
TiredAndRavenous Fri 05-Aug-16 08:08:24

Long time lurker grin so here goes!

We brought a new build house that has a social housing home next door to us, a couple and 2 DC live there. They are by no means neighbours from hell, so don't really know what to do.

When we moved in the a man from the housing association of all of the social housing properties visited us & gave us numbers to call for if our neighbours give us any troubles.

So moving day came (months ago now) and we settle out 1 year old into his new room (located at the back garden side of the house) and within 5 mins the DC next door where outside screaming, literally screaming, singing songs & also playing lovely recorders (why do these hell flutes still excist!) . Now I understand children need to play outside and it wasn't exactly late, (7:30ish) but c'mon you have just seen 2 people struggling all day with a 1 year old, really badly moving in sad

So baby wakes up, obviously, and after about an hour all noise stops. Lovely goodnight star

So basically the same thing happens for another few days, my DP then gets talking with one of the neighbours & just asks if they could keep the noise down a tiny bit, and they agree the kids are loud, but they have been living there for weeks with no neighbours, so have been letting the kids get away with more, as there's no1 else around. So he says they will keep it down from now on.

Obviously from this thread, the noise gets no better, in fact they add a giant trampoline and a drum kit to the mix! Like I said I'm all for kids having fun, but they don't just laugh and play, it's constant screams and hell flutes until about 8:30pm.

A few weeks in we just decide to give our son our room at the front of the house, which has helped, on average they only stop our son sleeping about 1-2 nights a week.

Only problem with the front of the house is the neighbours like to smoke out of there upstairs Windows (fair enough) so can't have our DS window open (we can get over that) but for some reason the neighbours like to flick their cigarette butts out their window and always seem to get into my garden hmm

But now it's summer holidays, and I'm considering just contacting the housing association, the noise is going on until about 10pm & I honestly have had enough of ripping fag buts from my child's hands.

AIBU, would you report them? I don't wanna get anyone in trouble but it's really draining me.

Sorry for the ramble, I have a sleeping pox child hanging off me grin

elodie2000 Fri 05-Aug-16 08:11:49

You were given a number to call for a reason!! Sounds like hell.

Fluffyears Fri 05-Aug-16 08:14:12

Record the noise on your phone, take pictures of cigarette ends and send them to the housing asdociation. When our arsehole neighbours left fagburts in our garden from the numerous all night parties I bagged them up in s sandwich bag and put them through their letterbox as it was their property.

Creampastry Fri 05-Aug-16 08:15:13

Call them!

Pearlman Fri 05-Aug-16 08:15:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elodie2000 Fri 05-Aug-16 08:18:51

Pearlman OP says they were screaming until 10pm.

IceRoadDucker Fri 05-Aug-16 08:18:51

IceRoadDucker Fri 05-Aug-16 08:18:52

Normal playing noises with a bit of excited shouting = okay. Recorders and drum kits in the garden = not okay. Screeching = not okay.

It really depends on whether it's reasonable noise or excessive, which is so subjective. But you can't expect quiet from 7:30pm because you have a baby.

When we moved in the a man from the housing association of all of the social housing properties visited us & gave us numbers to call for if our neighbours give us any troubles.

Wow, really? That's awful. Talk about starting things off on a bad foot...

TiredAndRavenous Fri 05-Aug-16 08:19:48

I don't mind the silly and giggles, I work at a school and know how loud children can be. But I would never let my child scream constantly and play recorders outside.

TiredAndRavenous Fri 05-Aug-16 08:21:40

Yes it worried us abit, when the man just turned up smile

Pearlman Fri 05-Aug-16 08:24:14

OliviaStabler Fri 05-Aug-16 08:25:01

Report them. Whet they are doing is unacceptable.

molyholy Fri 05-Aug-16 08:33:33

Well thank god they don't own their own home like you. You'd be fucked. At least you can snitch to someone. I know you said your husband has asked them to keep it down, but have ypu ever actually been out when they are making noise and said 'the baby is in bed, can you knock it on the head please'.

Groovee Fri 05-Aug-16 08:36:07

I'd tip their butts back over to their side. And I'd ram the recorders up the parents bums. It took me a lot when we moved here to get dd to sleep while children were playing. But she soon learned to go to sleep when tired.

carabos Fri 05-Aug-16 08:42:01

We have noisy, unpleasant neighbours who encourage screeching type play at all hours, inside and outside the house. They stay up late and get up early. They have three large dogs that bark constantly, they left both their DC to "cry it out", for which read "scream all night" as babies and they have noisy sex at 10.30 pm every night.

We have never, and would never complain. It's none of our business and not our job to impose our standards on other people but after 12 years it's too much, so guess what? We're moving house. I suggest you do the same.

blitheringbuzzards1234 Fri 05-Aug-16 08:43:30

Be brave and complain. That's why you were given the number. I know you don't like to do so, no-one does, even self-confident extroverts hate to complain but you must do so. Find a way of doing do firmly but with humour. Don't go on suffering.

teafortoads Fri 05-Aug-16 08:46:52

Molyholy knocking the baby on the head while it sleeps might solve the problem! I imagine you'll be offered mediation/noise monitoring once the HA have had a word, assuming this doesn't work. I'd ask once more if the noise can be hushed a bit and also pull them up on the fag ends as in my hellish experience of ghastly neighbours it's always better to keep things civil if possible. Although these issues seem massive to you, nothing will be done re the smoking as people can smoke out their window if they choose to do so regardless of neighbours discomfort. The littering and garden noise will be classed as very minor issues unfortunately and you might start off a Tit for tat type of scenario ( been there, am currently there, it is horrible!). I am not minimising your issues as I know the small things add up and when you Don't feel safe/chilled in your own home it's awful. Good luck! Xxx

UnexpectedBaggage Fri 05-Aug-16 08:49:58

You were given the number for a reason, I wonder if there have been previous complaints about them. Report them. It's unacceptably anti-social.

I think recorders should be banned and I'd never buy a trampoline for my DC unless I really hated my neighbours. The screeching they seem to produce fro DCs is painful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now