to think I shouldn't have to pay for my son's dance show's production costumes, when the girls don't have to?

(5 Posts)
user1470335762 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:49:57

My sister showed me the site. Thanks!!

My son is 6 and attends a dance school, where he does ballet, tap and street dance. The street dance class is pretty mixed, so I don't have to pay for his costume (it's literally just shorts and a tank top that they'll all be wearing for the production (girls will have a different cut top and leggings), they then hand these back into the school to be used for various other competitions and shows for other pupils. For ballet, he is the only boy unfortunately, the girls are wearing summer dresses (the school ones) to be a sailor these will then be handed back in to be used for other girls throughout the whole classes for other pupils who may do the same routine at a different show etc but ds has to pay to have a sailor costume that matches the exact print that's in the summer dress so it has to be made from scratch with that fabric... I have to pay because there never are many boys so they aren't sure if it'll be reused... I don't mind paying, I know that's part of it but it's the fact that the girls don't have to and then when I do agree to pay it has to be something that matches exactly to theirs... It's going to cost around £50. I don't really get it.

Griphook Thu 04-Aug-16 19:51:45

Yeah surely he can just wear some shorts and a white vest with a sailors hat

mamas12 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:55:27

Unfair
Surely if he's the only boy They can absorb the cost
Also he can wear white shorts/trousers and white t shirt with a collar made from the marching fabric which cut costs of fabric and making right down.

MascaraAndConverse26 Thu 04-Aug-16 20:00:27

That's not fair at all. It's as though they have never considered the possibility that a boy will also be in these competitions at some point. I think they ought to re think that.

jay55 Thu 04-Aug-16 20:24:42

When I was a kid we all paid the same per dance per show for costume hire, whether we were wearing existing or new costumes. Which seemed much fairer than one person paying that much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now