To think he's not that interested?

(9 Posts)
TheWoredBorrier Thu 04-Aug-16 19:11:08

Going on a sort-of date with someone who's just started out as a doctor. He has said he should be free this weekend "as long as something terrible doesn't happen on the ward". Legit?!

davos Thu 04-Aug-16 19:16:24

My best friend is a doctor. Her first few years were awful. Loads of cancellations.

You can't just go home when your shift ends, unfortunately.

ATrumpIsAFartCalledDonald Thu 04-Aug-16 19:18:03

I think you're overthinking it. It's just a light hearted joke about his job.
Unless you have a good reason to believe he's not interested then just relax and go with it.

redastra Thu 04-Aug-16 19:58:16

My DH is a doctor, and I remember the first few years were difficult. An emergency would occur on the ward a half hour before end of his shift and he would need to stay back to sort it. There would be staff shortages and he would need to stay. He would fall asleep at dinner/cinema due to being completely worn out!

Our first few dates were in the hospital canteen (I was a nurse in the same hospital),as it was the only way we could see each other!
Needless to say we have been together16 years and married for 12!!

OP please have patience with him, I am sure he is interested but still finding his feet at work! Good luck!!!

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 04-Aug-16 20:11:29

Legit. You can't walk out in the middle of treating someone!

ToriaPumpkin Thu 04-Aug-16 20:17:50

I had two midwives stay late until my delivery was finished, I had doctors come back after rounds to discuss areas of my DD's care and I've got a friend who's a dentist who is regularly late for dinner dates/the cinema because appointments ran late. Unless you have reason to suspect he's making excuses then I'd say he's probably telling the truth.

Trills Thu 04-Aug-16 20:18:51

That's what life as a doctor is like.

If he cancels on you, it doesn't necessarily mean he's not interested.

He hasn't even cancelled yet! Are you unusually nervous about this for a reason?

MiddleClassProblem Thu 04-Aug-16 20:19:38

I think he's just warning you and apologising in advance. If he didn't want to see you he wouldn't say he was free or tell you straight

TheWoredBorrier Thu 04-Aug-16 20:28:52

Fair enough! It's kind of our first date though, so v v early days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now