What's the difference between HA and council houses?

(11 Posts)
TuppencePenny Thu 04-Aug-16 00:51:14

Just that really. What is the difference between housing association properties and council houses/ flats? Do both offer lower rates and secure tenancies and is one more sought after than the other?

Grilledaubergines Thu 04-Aug-16 00:54:30

I think just different ownership. Would have thought rents etc all veer similar.

BearGryllsHasaBigRope Thu 04-Aug-16 00:57:17

HA are privately owned, they offer secure tenancies at usually around 80% of market value for rent. They all have their own rules etc around how long a tenancy can last I believe.

Around here, council are a bit cheaper and a bit more sought after for the security. I'm not sure if they can turf you out if you no longer meet bedroom requirements, which a HA can do.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 04-Aug-16 01:09:41

Councils have provided local authority housing via dedicated departments for about a century. HAs mainly sprang up from 60s/ 70s onwards (although some plilanthropic housing trusts such as Peabody date from the Victoria era) and were non-profits dedicated to provision of affordable housing and nothing else.

Historically, therefore council housing stock has been older on average than HA homes with fewer mod cons than HA. HAs have continued to build new homes and in recent decades councils haven't. Although now some councils are building new homes and some HAs are buying out council housing, so the age of stick is more mixed. There have also been been big programmes to put double glazing, modern kitchen and bathrooms into council properties.

Council rents used to be a bit cheaper than HA although the two have gradually been brought into line.

So it used to be that HA tenants paid a bit more for more modern property on average.

All council tenancies in England have RTB. HA homes built or bought after 97 have RTA (smaller discount).

There seems to be a general feeling among tenants that councils are more hands-off LLs while HAs more actively manage, check up on things etc.

Council tenants have secure tenancies, HA tenants have assured tenancies, both are indefinite with a lot of security although council tenancies are slightly more secure on a few small points (slightly fewer grounds to evict). Increasingly, however, new tenants of both are being given periodic tenancies of 5 years.

So in summary, the differences are fading. The big difference is right to buy and even that is about to be voluntarily rolled out to a number of HAs.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 04-Aug-16 01:11:11

Around here council houses are considerably cheaper (just less than 300 per month for a 4 bed) than HA (about 450 a month for a 4 bed).

The HA also have a 5 year financial review to see if you are still in need of cheaper housing and all the bedrooms, the council have lifetime tenancies (although I believe that's stopping here soon and will be 5 years).

HelenaDove Thu 04-Aug-16 01:14:11

What Dacre said.

DixieNormas Thu 04-Aug-16 01:16:20

Well around here CH are cheaper and they tend to look after the houses better and do work quicker than HA, but that's just in this area.

They don't turf you out but you can be charged extra if you no longer meet bedroom requirements, that's no different to the HA though.

Not all HA do tenancies' for life now, but not all CH do either.

HelenaDove Tue 09-Aug-16 19:29:26

I dont think many councils own housing anymore. I think most of them have been sold onto HAs.

Threepineapples Tue 09-Aug-16 19:45:04

There aren't any council houses where I live anymore, only HA. The criteria for HA are very limited, very few new tenancies, and we have the auction process. I'm not sure about the tenancy terms.

spidey66 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:52:43

I think one difference is that HA tenancies do not give you the right to buy, though DC may want to change that.

HelenaDove Sat 13-Aug-16 20:00:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now