To think having a bell on your bicycle just isn't a thing anymore?

(6 Posts)
Rainbowfairies Wed 03-Aug-16 17:23:36

Rant alert. So I was out walking with kids earlier and having a nice time. Suddenly, some teenager on a bike (not wearing a helmet either) whizzed passed just as DS stepped out to the side. Luckily DS was able to jump out the way quickly, but bicycle bloke stopped, looked at us and cycled on. AIBU to think that if you want to ride a bike, by all means risk your own safety by not wearing a helmet but at least have a bell so that you can warn people you are coming??
Rant over.

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Wed 03-Aug-16 17:24:39

Every new bike that is sold, must have a bell, no way to ensure that it gets used,

SweetChickadee Wed 03-Aug-16 17:26:50

Bells are very much a thing where I live - vast majority of cyclists have them, and give pedestrians a quick 'ting' to let you know they are coming up behind you so you can give them room.

I think it's very civilized.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 03-Aug-16 17:27:09

Hmm, I experience the opposite - children ringing bells constantly for no reason, so it becomes meaningless. Especially so at Centerparcs!

RestlessTraveller Wed 03-Aug-16 17:28:21

Yep. It's the law that they have one. Makes me giggle that all the too cool for school mountain bikers I see coming down the trails in my local forest had to have one when they bought their really expensive full
suns pension bikes.

bitemyshinymetalass Wed 03-Aug-16 17:28:58

I have a bell.

But since when do you expect teenagers to be ringing bells and being careful? It's hardly news or new that teens are not the most caring and considerate, socially minded people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now