Aibu neighbours

(24 Posts)
jmh740 Wed 03-Aug-16 09:33:14

My neighbours are a bit of a pain. Diy at all hours, needing half the street to park meaning we struggle where a bit of consideration would solve the issue, she leaves for work at 6 can hear her getting up slamming doors etc, he's an old man and a bit deaf can hear their TV in all the rooms downstairs. I've never complained well once years ago about the parking when dd had just come out of hospital and was hard work for her to get in and out of the car if I had to park half way up the street. Yesterday I had scaffolding put up have a lot of building issues will be up at least a week, neighbour has been round saying it needs to come down when builders come back today because it's interfering with his Sky signal! Aibu to think he just needs to put up with it until the work is done?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 03-Aug-16 09:36:04

Ha!!

Nod and smile. Nod and smile.

GreaseIsNotTheWord Wed 03-Aug-16 09:39:30

He has to suck it up, obviously you're not going to take it down as stuff needs to be done.

Like the pp said, just nod and smile. 'Oh sorry, what a pain for you! Obviously it will be up for as short a time as possible, fingers crossed only about a week'. If he keeps asking then just give him a bewildered look and tell him nicely that it can only come down when your work is finished, obviously.

jmh740 Wed 03-Aug-16 09:48:03

Thanks that's basically what I did then spent all night wondering if I was rude or there was something else I should have said.

Missgraeme Wed 03-Aug-16 09:53:13

Buy some bunting and hang it on the scaffold!!

fluffychicken Wed 03-Aug-16 10:14:40

Tell him the scaffolding is up because your house is falling apart and could fall onto theirs at any moment if it is taken off.

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Wed 03-Aug-16 10:16:37

Tell him that if it means his TV isn't going to be on constantly, you're going to keep it permanently wink

thisismeusernameything Wed 03-Aug-16 10:18:26

Yes sorry neighbour. I noticed I couldn't hear your TV in every room of my house last night.

tiggerkid Wed 03-Aug-16 10:29:37

This situation reminds me of one of my neighours. She has all kinds of work done practically all the time. We've been in our house for almost 3 years now and there hasn't been a single month when she doesn't have some sort of workmen around to do this, that and the other. Builders, roofers, gardeners, kitchen installers, cleaners, you name them, she had them all. We recently had some garden work done and builders were around for few weeks to reinstall patio etc. You won't believe it but she actually came over to talk to them and ask them not to park their vans on the side of the road because apparently they were making the neighbourhood unsightly! This doesn't seem to apply to her own workmen, all of whom park on the side of the road.

To be honest, I chose not to start an argument but continue doing what we needed done. There is not much else you can do as debating these points will inevitably end up in an argument or complete fallout. It's clear that these people are not reasonable. So having it out with them will not end in a peaceful conversation.

I have another neighbour, who has his grandkids around every single weekend. Some of them are very young and not only do they cry, scream and fight all the time, but he once actually came over and asked us to stop mowing our lawn at 5 pm because apparently he needed to put one of those kids to bed. DH actually did stop mowing just to accommodate and not to be difficult but I have to say I was somewhat annoyed because weekends is the only time when we can really do it and 5 pm is not exactly your antisocial hour.

We do get all sorts for neighbours but probably best to just nod, smile and continue with your work at least to start with.

ITVKYLEFILES Wed 03-Aug-16 12:45:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jmh740 Wed 03-Aug-16 12:48:27

He's just been out asking the builders to hurry up and take it down, I've just asked them to do a few other jobs which will mean the scaffolding needs to be up a bit longer.

ThatsMyStapler Wed 03-Aug-16 12:50:38

get your own thread ITVKYLEFILES

ITVKYLEFILES Wed 03-Aug-16 12:52:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ginslinger Wed 03-Aug-16 12:54:34

we heard you the first time Kylefiles - now go and get your own thread grin

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 03-Aug-16 12:57:50

do you have Sky yourself?
If so, say he can come round to yours, then watch programmes he hates

sportinguista Wed 03-Aug-16 13:09:32

I think he's being an idiot. We had scaffolding up for nearly a month and a half next door. At no point did it interfere with the sky signal.

UnexpectedBaggage Wed 03-Aug-16 13:12:53

It's quite likely it is interfering and if he makes a complaint you could be made to take it down. That will take a few weeks, though.

AmandaK11 Wed 03-Aug-16 13:15:49

It sounds weird to me that it's such an issue. Anyhow, it should be something he needs to accept as part of, let's put it that way, neighbourly life in the city.

SlinkyVagabond Wed 03-Aug-16 13:17:35

Oh I think I might be finding quite a few more jobs that need doing whilst it's up. Has it touched or bumped his sky dish? Then highly unlikely it's done anything.

JassyRadlett Wed 03-Aug-16 13:24:43

I'd sweetly advise him to call Sky about repositioning his dish, as there have been some unforeseen issues and the scaffolding may have to stay up quite a bit longer.

(He doesn't need to know that the unforeseen issue is him being a twat.)

jmh740 Wed 03-Aug-16 16:37:04

It's at least 10 feet away from his sky dish. Further development - have just been chatting to his partner who said they have been watching dvd's or he has been watching sky on 'her' TV in the back room! Seems to be he's worried he can't watch TV on the huge wall mounted TV in the front room and has to make do with smaller TV he doesn't want to have to watch Olympics on the small TV. Have asked builder to replace window sill and lintel and paint the front of the house, he'll defo need the scaffolding for that!

Floralnomad Wed 03-Aug-16 16:43:02

If you can get sky on one tv then you can get it on all the others , it all comes from one dish - perhaps his box is broken .

jmh740 Wed 03-Aug-16 17:08:18

I think he has a box at the front and a box at the back

Floralnomad Wed 03-Aug-16 20:13:57

We have multiple boxes but you still only have 1 dish ,just different wiring once in the house that enables different programmes to be watched on the different boxes If the dish is not working neither box gets a signal .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now