To think there's really something wrong with America?

(12 Posts)
InNeedOfABatcave3 Wed 03-Aug-16 08:22:19

9th black woman killed by a cop with her son on her lap. He got shot as well.

Yet white kids that shoot up schools get taken down to burger king for burgers.

allegretto Wed 03-Aug-16 08:23:13

You've just noticed?

allegretto Wed 03-Aug-16 08:23:28

YANBU

CwtchyQ Wed 03-Aug-16 08:24:49

I don't think the issue is new, it's just (thankfully but sadly iyswim) got more attention in the media.

It's a big place with deep divides. I don't know where they realistically begin to fix it.

QueenLaBeefah Wed 03-Aug-16 08:25:32

YANBU

It is scary. The cops seem to shoot (mainly young black men) first and then ask questions later.

cexuwaleozbu Wed 03-Aug-16 08:26:16

There is something wrong with the whole world. It is utterly broken.

JeanGenie23 Wed 03-Aug-16 08:26:43

There is a disgusting innate racism sad

InNeedOfABatcave3 Wed 03-Aug-16 08:31:18

Well no allegretto but waking up today hearing about the young mother who was shot on the 2/8/16 with her son on her lap has made me extremely sad.

I cannot get my head around their police. So much bad publicity and press over killing black people and it still carries on. I don't get it. How hard is it to stop killing people.

GreaseIsNotTheWord Wed 03-Aug-16 08:50:27

It goes so much deeper than just 'cops killing black people' though.

The police kill everyone...there are so many cases where they have shot first, asked questions later.

BUT...when you adjust for population, crime data in the US puts violent crime committed by black people as something like 9 times higher than the same completed by any other race (white/hispanic/native American). The statistics are telling police that black people are more dangerous than white people and IMO, as a result, they're probably subconsciously going to take them down quicker due to them being a bigger threat. Human nature/self preservation to an extent.

It's guns that are the problem IMO. You could wipe out most of the deaths if guns were removed from the whole population.

And there have been plenty of non-black killings in the US by police this year (not as many % wise as black killings, but still plenty) - I can't really bring any to mind though. Because it's not as newsworthy. A white cop killing a white man is just policing. A white cop killing a black man is automatically viewed as having some racist bias where that may well not be the case.

blinkowl Wed 03-Aug-16 08:55:08

"BUT...when you adjust for population, crime data in the US puts violent crime committed by black people as something like 9 times higher than the same completed by any other race"

Source please. Are you quoting figures of people tried and convicted? If so then it's not hard to see why in a racist country there would be more black people convicted is it?

Have poverty been taken into account in those figures?

GreaseIsNotTheWord Wed 03-Aug-16 09:03:23

No source blinkowl, hence I said 'something like' rather than quoting exact figures. I was reading it the other day, possibly in the times, but it's something i've seen/read many times before...should be googleable
if you like.

logosthecat Wed 03-Aug-16 09:04:54

The problem is that there is a correlation of poverty and crime, and because of the incredibly oppressed history of the Afro-American population, there is more poverty in that community.

But there is also racism at work in those stats.

Because the black community are also more policed (partly an effect of racism), they are more likely to be arrested for crime. There are data to show that black people are more likely to be pulled over and arrested and charged than white people with the same behaviour/trigger.

Black people are also more likely to be sent to prison than white people for the same crime (there is racial bias in the judicial system as well as the police).

There is a good, simple article on the non-neutrality of 'statistics' on incarceration here:
www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-farbota/black-crime-rates-your-st_b_8078586.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now