WIBU to eat in a restaurant alone?

(50 Posts)
MissClarke86 Tue 02-Aug-16 23:31:50

Not so much an AIBU but more of a would I feel awkward?

I've never eaten out alone but am having serious cravings for an Italian meal!

Do other people do it?

OreosAreTasty Tue 02-Aug-16 23:32:36

"Would I feel awkward?" How would we know??
I've done it,
I'm sure others do too. It's fine. Enjoy smile

acasualobserver Tue 02-Aug-16 23:32:55

Yes, why not? Take a book.

LurkyLurkerMcLurkface Tue 02-Aug-16 23:34:26

Done it many times, phone/kindle/book and off you go!

Tangfastics Tue 02-Aug-16 23:34:42

Do it!

I love a meal in peace and quiet, reading or mumsnetting, having someone else cook and clean up after me......

1Catherine1 Tue 02-Aug-16 23:35:52

I think it would depend on the restaurant personally... A chain like Frankie and Benny's - I think you wouldn't feel awkward, its like a posh McDonalds really... But the small romantic italian with its dimmed lights and music - I think I would feel a little out of place...

I'd take a book though...

Dutchcourage Tue 02-Aug-16 23:36:27

I love it.

Take a book, some thing to read. Glass of wine and sit back and enjoy a meal in peace!

yorkshapudding Tue 02-Aug-16 23:37:17

A meal in a restaurant alone with a good book sounds like absolute bliss to me.

CalleighDoodle Tue 02-Aug-16 23:37:59

Ive eaten alone at la tasca a couple of times. No issues and got great service!

elephantoverthehill Tue 02-Aug-16 23:38:47

Through going on courses etc. work related, on my own. I have had to do it a number of times. I have also found other lone diners in these situations and asked to join them. They are also away from home on work things too. It's a normal thing to do IMO.

RoosterCogburn Tue 02-Aug-16 23:38:58

Do it! I'd always shied away from eating alone then on holiday DH had a migraine and wasn't able to eat so I entered up eating alone - it was lovely, me and my book and good food.

Since then I've often done it, as others have said it's very relaxing.

Mycraneisfixed Tue 02-Aug-16 23:40:44

I'm antisocial so for me it's iPad and headphones to listen to Audible and shut out the world.

LilacInn Tue 02-Aug-16 23:41:34

I've eaten alone in basic places and high-end destination restaurants while away on business. No one bats an eye.

Eatthecake Tue 02-Aug-16 23:41:50

I have done it often when I've been away for work on my own

Rarotonga Tue 02-Aug-16 23:51:57

Not at all. Like others have said, take something to read and you'll be fine. I was forced into this whilst travelling on my own on my gap year and was initially very reluctant but no one really seemed to notice or care. Now I do it all the time!

BettyCrystal Tue 02-Aug-16 23:54:55

I do it all the time! I like doing lots of things by myself, even though I'm also quite social. I need me time. It's great for people watching too!

DamsonGinIsMyThing Tue 02-Aug-16 23:55:46

Ooh it's lovely.
Even better when teamed with a night alone in a hotel.

MissClarke86 Tue 02-Aug-16 23:57:38

Thanks everyone! I'll go for it.

Next question is which is your favourite Italian chain? I'm angling towards Carluccios...

OH doesn't like Italian so we don't go to them when we eat out.

IggyPopsicle Wed 03-Aug-16 00:03:43

Yes loads of people go to restaurants by themselves, myself included. I often have to travel for various things and there's no way I could spend every evening sitting in my hotel room with a Sainsburys meal deal, night after night. Sod that.

Honestly, once you give it a go for the first time, you will wonder why you worried so much. I always take a book to read, or my tablet. Its great fun.

PovertyPain Wed 03-Aug-16 00:04:16

Thank you for posting this, OP. I used to enjoy eating out by myself, but got used to eating out with my dear husband. One if the things I miss, since losing my husband, is eating out in 'naice' restaurants. I loved enjoying the flavours, savouring the wine and sitting over a cup of coffee. I don't want to go out with those that don't do the same. I'm going to start going out by myself again.

BennyTheBall Wed 03-Aug-16 00:05:50

I would feel really awkward, but I don't know why. If I stay in hotels for work, I always order room service.

I could only do it if I had an iPad or a book.

MissClarke86 Wed 03-Aug-16 00:06:24

Lovely to hear that PovertyPain. I shall think of you over my lasagne tomorrow! smile

toomuchinternets Wed 03-Aug-16 00:15:27

I'm 30 and have a wife and a kid but eating at a restaurant alone is one of my all time favourite things to do when I have a rare evening alone!

Shizzlestix Wed 03-Aug-16 00:18:13

Did it on honeymoon when the DH had food poisoning and was out of action for 2 very worrying days (Caribbean, no English speakers, out of the way place). Not comfortable, but necessary.

It's easier these days, take a prop as pp say, a phone or tablet would be handy.

MrsJoeyMaynard Wed 03-Aug-16 00:31:28

I've done this before when away with work. Having a book or kindle with you is handy if you feel self conscious about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now