To be annoyed at my neighbour?

(11 Posts)
JellyBelly89 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:27:55

She's planted a berry bearing tree between her shed and the fence. She is pruning everything on the shed side so it's sprouting like mad on the other side.

I know I can cut it back to the boundary, but it's already too tall to be able to do myself. The berries are poisonous to dogs, I have two and she has one. And one of mine is on a restricted prescription diet so really can't eat anything whatsoever, despite the fact they are toxic.

Moaning because I am not looking forward to going outside to pick up tiny berries every time before I let the dogs out. Nor can I afford to pay someone to come cut back the bits I can't reach.

Any bright ideas? sad

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 01-Aug-16 20:35:41

Is there any possibility of attaching a fine net to catch the fruits?

Ps: What sort of berries? Can you make pie? smile

Cinnabunbun Mon 01-Aug-16 20:42:49

Are the berries something that birds will eat up quickly or has that not been the case previously? It does seem a bit inconsiderate of them IMO. Are you on friendly terms with the neighbour? Do you think you could have a chat with them along the lines of "I was wondering if next time you are pruning your tree you could pop over and do all the bits overhanging my side as well? I wouldn't want to have to pay a tree surgeon and can't teach myself...." It might make them hunk about taking some responsibility for it?

Cinnabunbun Mon 01-Aug-16 20:43:29

Reach not teach

JellyBelly89 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:45:03

Rowan berries.

They're so tiny I am not sure how easy it will be to find a net with small enough holes. I will look, though...

JellyBelly89 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:46:22

DP is going round tomorrow, I know what she'll say, 'my dog so eat things like that'. No, but you don't have retrievers!

They are not being eaten as fast as they are falling. Gust of wind goes by and they drop off.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 01-Aug-16 20:47:08

Like a mosquito net? That could work, if firmly attached.

JellyBelly89 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:01:34

Not sure I can attach a net as is, it's in the middle of the fence so I'd need to make another anchor point somehow but not sure how successful it would be?

Zxzx Mon 01-Aug-16 21:05:55

Why can't you get some ladders and cut it back? It's not that tall? I'd slightly lean over her side while I did it. Are you able to borrow some long reach loppers?

TroysMammy Mon 01-Aug-16 21:10:10

I'm sure you can make jelly with rowan berries.

JellyBelly89 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:16:12

I can't reach the top on our ladder with the 2 ft Choppy things we have. I've cut it twice in four weeks, the wind seems to like blowing all the berries over just to spite me, regardless of who's side of the fence they're on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now