ABUI: Zebra crossing in Tesco Carpark

(16 Posts)
TheEmmaDilemma Sun 31-Jul-16 13:29:59

Today, for about the 90th time, as I was half way over the Zebra crossing in the Tesco carpark (with becons) a car zoomed straight in front of me.

It was so close I could have just pushed my trolled with a little force and hit the drivers door. WIBU to have so, and could I be prosecuted?

I'm not saying I would. I haven't yet. I'm just wondering who would be seen as at fault?

Do they count since they are essentially on private land I would think?

TheEmmaDilemma Sun 31-Jul-16 13:32:36

To add, I'm a grown 40 year old (young!) woman. No children were with me, but frankly I don't think that excuses driving over a Zebra crossing when someone is half way over it.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 31-Jul-16 13:33:49

They shouldn't drive across zebra crossings - they could be charged with dangerous driving/driving without due care and attention if something happened.

However, if you ram your trolley into someone, you're likely to face a claim for criminal damage. It would be different if they drove into your trolley, of course, and they may not be able to prove what happened - and you might find they didn't report it anyway, because they'd need to admit driving across a zebra crossing, but it's a risk.

Have you reported this to tesco? Do they have cctv on the crossing? They'd be ideally placed to pass footage to the police or have a member of staff observe the crossing for a while.

TheEmmaDilemma Sun 31-Jul-16 13:55:44

I believe the CCTV should cover it. And I will start reporting it I think as it's so dangerous and entitled.

But I'm still sooo tempted to just pretend my spacial awareness isn't as good as it is and keep going with the trolley in front.

If it had been a child on there today, well I can't counter would they have done it or not? Because I'm adult is it ok to speed on through? The crossing was clear when I entered it and they were a good way away and yet speed on through looking for a space.

It wasn't obnoxious speed, but I did have to pull myself short as I totally expected they would stop. A child running over a clear Zebra crossing wouldn't have had the same chance.

snowgirl29 Sun 31-Jul-16 14:28:54

Isn't the general consensus that if you're already walking across a zebra crossing approaching vehicles have to stop for you?

I'd be making Tesco aware too.

We cross a crossing on the school run and I'm always agog at drivers that put their foot down. It will only take one kid to be walking too fast to school early one day before the lollipop lady and an accident will happen.

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sun 31-Jul-16 16:15:47

If the crossing is in the car park, it is just paint on the road and has no legal standing.

All markings in car parks are 'advisory ' only

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sun 31-Jul-16 16:19:00

Doesn't mean they aren't a massive twat for not stopping of course, but they can't be prosecuted in the way that they could if it was in the highway.

ginghamstarfish Sun 31-Jul-16 16:23:19

Seems to me that lots of idiots folks driving about these days either don't know the rules of the road, or more likely believe that the rules don't apply to THEM as they are so important and special. I don't drive that much, but I can be fairly sure, even in my quiet little town, to come across someone like this on each outing. Definitely report it, maybe Tesco can do something as it's on private land.

ForTheLoveOfMod Sun 31-Jul-16 16:24:33

I'd be suddenly compelled to trip over my shoe and shove my trolley into the cat, purely by accident. Legally enforceable crossing or not, driving that close to a pedestrian at any decent speed is dangerous.

ForTheLoveOfMod Sun 31-Jul-16 16:25:15

*car! I don't advocate ramming trolleys into felines!

FenellaMaxwell Sun 31-Jul-16 16:27:15

I WAS hit by a car on a zebra crossing yesterday. Luckily they just caught my bag as I threw myself out of the way. According to DH I looked like a really bad, pregnant stunt woman hmm

BusStopBetty Sun 31-Jul-16 16:29:18

I've come to the conclusion that many drivers see features such as zebra crossings as merely decorative adornments. They're certainly not for stopping at, not even on public highways, and not even when a person is halfway across.

Someone did that to me the other day and missed me by a whisker. Dickhead actually had to stop on the crossing as the car in front was turning left and he couldn't go anywhere anyway.

PovertyPain Sun 31-Jul-16 16:58:47

I think some drivers think it's a finish line, not a crossing. I just keep the trolley well in front of me and keep walking. If they hit it, tough shit for them. I find if I have a determined stride they stop, as they are worried I'm going to keep going.

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Sun 31-Jul-16 18:28:43

I'd make Tesco aware that there is an issue, if it's recurring. We had an issue with young cyclists riding at speed on the pedestrian walkways, at our local store. We asked the PCSOs to come into the front of the store and have an awareness day about safe cycling, helmets, lights, bike marking and where was appropriate and where was not appropriate to be cycling. It went down really well. I'm only saying because whether the drivers can be persecuted or not, the local PCSOs could probably do something to help.

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Sun 31-Jul-16 18:29:22

*prosecuted, not persecuted! 🙄

QueenOfTheAlley Sun 31-Jul-16 19:04:07

Highway code does not apply on private land but driver was still out of order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now