To think its a waste of water to wash up a handful of things?

(15 Posts)
MaddyHatter Sun 31-Jul-16 11:44:46

There is 2 small bowls a jug and about 5 pieces of cutlery.

I have put it by the sink to wash up with the lunch dishes later.

DH just went in there having just dragged his butt out of bed after 17hrs sleep (no i'm not joking, he fell asleep at 6.45pm last night) and is doing the tutting, sighing and 'ffs'ing while running water in the sink, and then the banging of dishes and slamming draws while putting stuff away after drying it.

Its pissing me off, i refuse to wash up that little amount as we don't have a dishwasher and i think its a waste to run a sink of hot water to wash 7 things!

Trills Sun 31-Jul-16 11:48:29

Depends on how you wash up

I always use running water rather than a bowl full, so the water used depends on how many things there are.

Tutting is a waste of breath though.

Amy214 Sun 31-Jul-16 11:51:53

I wash mine and dds plates/cutlery after every meal blush i'm less likely to do any washing up if i see a massive pile next to the sink (i just can't be bothered) I don't see it as a waste, i don't fill the sink right up.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 31-Jul-16 12:00:29

Running water probably uses as much, if not more than a bowl, unless you're really quick.

Dishwasher is actually the most efficient method. Mine uses 11 litres of water per cycle which is about half a sinkful. There is no way you can wash an entire dishwasher full of dishes in half a sinkful of water.

specialsubject Sun 31-Jul-16 12:12:33

Yes. In this house stuff goes in the dishwasher as we go, and anything that needs washing up by hand is done once a day. Dishwasher runs every 1-2 days when full.

Water and heating it are not free.

BITCAT Sun 31-Jul-16 12:14:14

I'm a bit Ocd and couldn't handle that. I would have to wash them up.

Birdsgottafly Sun 31-Jul-16 12:19:16

There's only two of us, permanently in my house now and I only have two large dinner plates (and about four smaller plates), so I'm never washing up a lot of stuff.

It's personal choice and he shouldn't be PA, if there's an issue, he should speak to you.

Trills Sun 31-Jul-16 12:29:08

Running water probably uses as much, if not more than a bowl, unless you're really quick.

Yes I expect so. I want to rinse everything under running water though.

I mentioned it because if you use a bowl, it's one bowl for 1 cup+plate or 1 bowl for 10 cups+plates. If you use running water then the amount of water used is always proportional to the amount of stuff being washed, so it doesn't matter if you do it all in one go or in smaller batches.

MaddyHatter Sun 31-Jul-16 13:06:38

Trills, our hot water is shite because of the pressure, it takes AGES for it to come through hot enough, you have to run the tap for a good 2-3 minutes.

If it came through straight away like it does at my moms house, it'd bother me less and i probably would do it that way, but our water makes it a waste to run the hot water to wash a couple of things.

i rinse too, but i do it under the tap still filling the sink.

Birds, his 'issue' is that apparently its impossible to do anything in the kitchen if there is some washing up. He NEEDS a blank canvas to be able to make a sandwich, even though the worktop is the other side of the kitchen from the sink.

I refuse to pander to his ridiculous foible.

gamerchick Sun 31-Jul-16 13:10:06

I dunno I prefer a clear kitchen before preparing food. He washed, dried and put away. I like that in a husband.

MaddyHatter Sun 31-Jul-16 13:12:47

you can have him then gamer, along with the constant martyrlike behaviour, tutting, swearing and side comments that clearly say i'm a shit wife and he is the world's best husband because he washes up.

FayaMAMA Sun 31-Jul-16 13:24:47

It probably is a waste of water, especially if you're on a water meter and the hot water takes a long time to come through!

However, I wash up literally straight after I eat as I can'r stand seeing it in my kitchen. SO you'd be frustrated with me too!

chough Sun 31-Jul-16 18:26:59

It's fine to leave it if it doesn't bother you.
I wouldn't mind a small amount of washing up waiting until later, as long as it was stacked tidily by the side of the sink, ready to do.

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Sun 31-Jul-16 18:38:25

OP I'm wondering whether my DH has another life, because this is him to a tee! I'm much more relaxed about things like washing up, it doesn't bother me at all, and I'd far rather wash up in one go than in dribs and drabs, but if he wants to wash up and do any other housework while he's at it - let him do it! I just carry on with whatever I'm doing at the time, and smile sweetly when he's finished bashing and tutting.

EdmundCleverClogs Sun 31-Jul-16 18:40:41

I don't think you're unreasonable, life's too short to worry about a couple of bits on the side. Then again, my partner is the opposite of yours, he would only notice washing up needed doing if he had no plate to eat off! (That's not to say he doesn't pull his weight, just totally oblivious to mess hmm). We don't have a dishwasher either, and our water pressure is so shit, we have to boil the kettle for decent washing up water. Best to do a pile than a few bits at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now