AIBU to ask you what you/anyone you know did for their 40th birthday party?

(46 Posts)
ginghamgiraffe Sat 30-Jul-16 18:24:17

Looking for inspiration for mine - themes/fancy dress/rustic/sophisticated
I can't decide
I do know I want to have a great night.
(I did start a longer thread in the correct topic but no bugger answered so I'm posting here) grin

Kerberos Sat 30-Jul-16 18:27:52

Las Vegas smile

blueskyinmarch Sat 30-Jul-16 18:28:48

I had a party in the local golf club. Loads of friends, family and kids. Ate lots of buffet food and drank lots. Great disco who played a playlist I supplied. Danced on the table as I recall. It was ace.

blueskyinmarch Sat 30-Jul-16 18:30:23

My DH on the other hand took a select group of friends to a hotel for a night we did abseiling on the day we arrived, lovely dinner at night. The next day the guys played golf and the women had spa treatments. It was very relaxed.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 30-Jul-16 18:30:49

Oh me too! I don't drink so would be very interested in any alternatives to getting pissed in a function room somewhere smile

But all the 'activities' I can think of are a bit hen / stag do so not really grabbing me. Some inspiration would be much appreciated.

Having said that, when I was drinking, I went to an ace 40th piss up in a function room - it's all about the playlist!

MrsBobDylan Sat 30-Jul-16 18:39:44

Threw myself a proper do with a DJ, lights and everyfink. No drinking as was 5 months pregnant, danced alot and had a blast.

Dozer Sat 30-Jul-16 18:40:39

What's the budget seems to be the key Q!

plusthree Sat 30-Jul-16 18:41:22

Barn dance. The DC who were little came for a few hours then went home with my parents.
Barrels of scumpie, lots of food and even people that don't dance were stripping the willow.

ARichVernacular Sat 30-Jul-16 18:44:11

I organised a surprise family get together for my DH - we did Go Ape, then had party food and fizz with presents in the afternoon, then in the evening we had a giant takeaway and his brother did a hilarious quiz all about him. It was brilliant.

SueTrinder Sat 30-Jul-16 18:46:48

DH took me to a nice restaurant for mine. We have no family close by so just getting a babysitter is an achievement. Can't remember what we did for DH's, probably another meal out.

A friend's husband arranged a surprise party for his wife in a local cafe that was usually shut in the evening. Arranged a band and everything, it was very family friendly and lots of fun.

Thingsthatmakeugoummmm Sat 30-Jul-16 18:50:09

Went to Vegas with hubby who was also 40 😊

eurochick Sat 30-Jul-16 18:51:54

Went to the Four Seasons Hampshire for the weekend. Unfortunately our baby was ill and it was a bloody nightmare!

KittyOShea Sat 30-Jul-16 18:51:57

On the actual day we had a party at ours and then hit the town.

To celebrate with DH he took me to New York grin

topcat2014 Sat 30-Jul-16 18:53:08

DW drove a top of the range Range Rover round the Landrover course in Worcs (I think they have them elsewhere in UK).

The only time we will get in £110k worth of car..

Mind you - she soon got used to blatting down the country roads scaring peasants pheasants out of the way

cardibach Sat 30-Jul-16 18:54:07

Went to Cardiff (live in rural Wales) with group of friends by train, champagne breakfast on train then lunch, shopping, lovely meal out, stayed in a hotel, more shopping, more food, train home. Was lovely.
For 50th, same sort of deal but also went to the ballet.

Bearbehind Sat 30-Jul-16 18:59:33

This is a real horses for course question.

I can't think of anything worse than a big party for my 40th.

Likewise, I think Las Vegas is a tacky, overrated dump.

I'd say the ideal big birthday celebration is just doing what pleases you.

CatNip2 Sat 30-Jul-16 19:02:16

Went to Rome with friends, would have hated a party.

Bettersleepoutdoors Sat 30-Jul-16 19:04:18

For my 40th I had crumpets and honey for breakfast, then took a walk alomg the canal path with my 6mo and a friend and had an ice cream.
It was perfect.
<misses the point>

TheHobbitMum Sat 30-Jul-16 19:06:48

DH turned 40 recently so I booked for the family (8 of us) to go to Budapest. Will incorporate his love of running with a marathon LOL All a surprise and very much unexpected. I've not reached that milestone yet but if DH does any kind of party I'll divorce him ;) (we both hate parties)

Katedotness1963 Sat 30-Jul-16 19:12:23

Nothing. I had two kids under five and we lived in a foreign country where I knew no-one. Ten years later I did the same for my 50th, though the kids were older...

BodsAuntieFlo Sat 30-Jul-16 19:14:55

Went to Sri Lanka and the Maldives then had a barn dance at home when we came back. We want to NYC for DH's then had another barn dance when we come home. we love a good barn dance

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sat 30-Jul-16 19:18:34

Despite much pressure I didn't have a party, I really, really didn't want one.

I went, alone (my preference), to Helsinki. Had a great time!

Owlytellsmesecrets Sat 30-Jul-16 19:18:42

We are going to Disneyland Paris.
DC are 9,7 & 5. DS 7 is severely disabled do we have never been out of the country. I lost my mum 2 years ago so birthdays are shite now and even shitter when they are milestones .... I'm going to look forward to my 40th rather than dread it !!!!!

scaryteacher Sat 30-Jul-16 19:41:34

Dh took me to a very swanky country house hotel for dinner, bed and breakfast, whilst Mum has ds for the night. A couple of months later he took me to Antwerp, when I was staying with him in Belgium (he was posted there), and I had diamond earrings custom made.

molyholy Sat 30-Jul-16 20:01:58

Well I am going to Benidorm for mine and cannot wait. I relunctantly went for a hen do last year for the first time and had an absolute ball. I am going to book hotel for 2 nights for dh and I, (dd will stay with grandparents) then inform family and friends of flight and hotel we have booked, and they can feel free to join us. I know there will be at least 10 of us. I cannot bloody wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now