Zero hours and notice periods

(12 Posts)
justnotaballetmum Sat 30-Jul-16 09:15:25

AIBU to ask you a quick question about these? grin

I am on a zero hours contract (although I never actually get zero hours.)

I have decided to leave.

How much notice do I need to give? hmm (I have no idea what my contract says by the way!)

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Sat 30-Jul-16 09:17:22

Obv you need to read your contract, but I thought that you didn't have to give notice on a zero hours contract. They are legally entitled not to give you notice of no hours - doesn't it work both ways?

MsJamieFraser Sat 30-Jul-16 09:17:56

You give you notice with 0 hours.

Its what I did, they asked if I could work the week, I said no, they said it was in my contract so I said OK, and said I am unavailable to work, but here is my notice.

justnotaballetmum Sat 30-Jul-16 09:20:58

That's what I thought, but legally I don't think there's much they can do if just decide to go but wondered if anyone knew differently.

HappyHeart87 Sat 30-Jul-16 09:23:18

On a 0 hr contract you are under no obligation to accept hours. So just don't accept any hours beyond the time you want to leave.

They can't legally force you to work a 'notice period' unless you've already accepted the hours for during that period, as that's forcing you to accept hours you don't want.

If it's all a bit informal and there's no record that you've accepted any hours, then legally that's their problem, but obviously you'll make a decision based on future references etc.

U2HasTheEdge Sat 30-Jul-16 09:24:07

I had a zero hours job for a week.

They treated me like crap so I called them the evening of my last shift and told them I wasn't coming back the next morning.

It was not an issue.

justnotaballetmum Sat 30-Jul-16 09:24:38

We get a rota through, usually the day before hmm

HappyHeart87 Sat 30-Jul-16 09:27:05

They can't dictate your hours on a 0 hour contract. The rota legally can only be an offer of hours, and you decide whether you want to take them.

Frazzled2207 Sat 30-Jul-16 09:46:34

You need to read your contract but I don't think you need any. That said if they've generally been nice to you and you are counting on a good reference I think appropriate to give them 2-4 weeks. If they've treated you like shit however just go.

elodie2000 Sat 30-Jul-16 11:26:14

Surely If it is a zero hours contract (no obligation for either party to provide hours) and you have a notice period of say, 4 weeks, you could give 4 weeks notice at zero hours.

dibs1973 Sat 30-Jul-16 11:57:31

A week is usually considered resonable, you may need to rely on them for a reference etc, so it may be worth considering some notice or this may not be forthcoming.

JessieMcJessie Sat 30-Jul-16 12:22:31

How can you not know what your contaract says? Have you lost it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now