to think that 10/11 year olds really should not be shreaking in the street at 11.20pm?

(12 Posts)
MammaTJ Thu 28-Jul-16 23:27:52

Just that really. I know I am stricter than other parents, and that is ok. You know, mine in at 7pm to do bed time routine, then eventually asleep. Maybe longer cuddles because it is the holidays!

Tonight though, I have come to bed, long after settling my nearly 10 and nearly 11 year old and there are kids their ages shreaking in the street.

I generally accept others parent differently to me, but tonight, not so much!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 28-Jul-16 23:32:56

Meh. They're out in the fresh air getting exercise.

Maybe they were excited by a particularly interesting Pokemon??

BITCAT Thu 28-Jul-16 23:35:53

Your not alone I have 4 ds1 17, ds2 13, dd1 14, dd2 10. And apart from the eldest none of them would be out past 8pm unless we were going somewhere special. Tonight they were out till 10pm because we had gone late night clothes shopping and decided to have a meal out afterwards.
But they certainly wouldn't be out on the street at that time I feel kids should be inside where they are safe. Maybe we are both strict

Happyinthehazeofadrunkenhour Thu 28-Jul-16 23:36:43

WTF? confused

Mycraneisfixed Thu 28-Jul-16 23:41:56

Absolutely not acceptable.

MammaTJ Thu 28-Jul-16 23:51:09

They went in seconds after I posted, so not so bad!

There were about 8 of them out there, so I was feeling outnumbered!

Smurfnoff Thu 28-Jul-16 23:56:01

I was in a beer garden last week and there were still kids - and I'm talking no more than six or seven years old - in there at 10.45. I thought this was insane.

blondieblondie Fri 29-Jul-16 00:00:41

My 11 year old was sent to bed (unwillingly) at 11pm. (9.00 - 9.15) on school nights. So no, not unreasonable at all. I don't think.

MammaTJ Fri 29-Jul-16 00:02:11

Smurfnoff, it kind of is, but in a way, what you describe is family time! What I am talking about is kids on their own in the street, with other kids!

Atlas15 Fri 29-Jul-16 00:08:54

Makes me feel quite blessed that I live in central London w10. It is dead outside right now. I grew up in the suburbs of Dagenham and I would stay out late getting drunk from age 12till15 in the summer, hanging outside shops and on the streets.
Around here I only see children in the parks,shops ect or on their way somewhere never loitering.

littleshirleybeans Fri 29-Jul-16 00:13:46

I've let mine stay out playing in the street till then as I feel it's their holidays and they won't get to do it very often as it's always raining here
I can see them from the window and if they were noisy, I'd go out to them. I remember staying out till 11 or so at that age (occasionally!) and feeling very decadent!
I'm very strict on manners etc but I don't see anything wrong with them being out where I can see them.
I wouldn't be letting them shriek though, no way. And I remind them, and the other kids, that they need to keep the noise down as people are trying to sleep/relax at home etc.

MammaTJ Fri 29-Jul-16 00:13:54

On the whole, I do love where I live and enjoy seeing the children and chatting to them, just not that late at night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now