Kids playing in the street

(12 Posts)
WoopWoop200 Thu 28-Jul-16 20:20:55

Would you let your 6 year old play in the street unsupervised?

A lady at the bottom of the street lets her two DS' play on the grass opposite their front door and roam up and down the street, but regularly checks on them.

My neighbour who lives in the flat behind me (top of street) lets her 6 year old DD go out and play with them. She can't see her out of a window and she does not come out to check on her. At all. Every day.

This makes me nervous as cars come up and down the street. Plus there's a massive communal garden they could be playing in as opposed to running up and down the street.

I know this woman quite well so am not just being a judgemental b*tch when i say she is such a lazy parent!

Should i say something? I don't get on with her but i've seen her kid dodge a couple of cars and it's only a week into the school holidays!! What if she gets injured?

mrsfuzzy Thu 28-Jul-16 21:58:27

yanbu to be concerned but it might be seen as interfering if you said something, but having said that i would mention the near misses so at least she is aware, but it is up to her how she 'looks after' her kids.

milkysmum Thu 28-Jul-16 22:08:10

My 7 and 5 year d both play out on the street, but I do regularly go out to check and I would say something if I thought kids were playing out and were unsafe and parents were not checking on then

monkeywithacowface Thu 28-Jul-16 22:10:49

Ds1 played out in the street when he was 5 but it's a quiet cul de sac and I could see him at all times. He wasn't allowed out of the street until he was about 9.

WoopWoop200 Thu 28-Jul-16 23:47:13

I used to play out on the street when i was kid but where we live is just not safe to be doing that. People accelerate up and down the hill. People park unsafely so can't see properly.

It just blows my mind!! (not in a good way)

I am going to say something. It's been playing on my mind for a few days and i find myself watching her to make sure she's ok!! I will have a think of how to say it.
I might report it as well as this woman just does not bother with her kid!

Haudyerwheesht Fri 29-Jul-16 00:16:33

Ds plays out alone but he's 9. Dd is 5 and if she's out then I'm watching her - I might pop in if she's with ds to go to the loo or put dinner in the oven etc and she's allowed to go round the set of 6 houses so I can't always see her but believe me I can always always hear her!!!!

bumsexatthebingo Fri 29-Jul-16 00:31:22

It's too young to leave them out unchecked all day but 6yo isn't too young to play out of sight if they're sensible imo. Not sure how you'd know she never checks on her unless you're watching all day.

WoopWoop200 Fri 29-Jul-16 08:31:01

I know, because she would have to physically leave her flat to check on her. There is literally no other way of doing it because of where her property is positioned.
My living room shares a wall with the main entrance door as well, so i can hear when people are going in and out. It's like background noise these days that i never notice as im so used to it but i have been paying attention the last few days

VioletBam Fri 29-Jul-16 08:43:15

Nope! I let mine play out at around 9 or 10 but only in front of the house. Then we moved to a quieter place and my older DD was 11...so she was allowed to walk to her friend's house or the shops...which is about 10 minutes walk.

My younger DD is 8 and she can play on the common land behind my house...as long as she remains in view of the kitchen where I am...she can't play on the road in front or walk to the shop.

bumsexatthebingo Fri 29-Jul-16 09:29:43

Maybe she has spoken to the other mum and agreed that she keeps an eye on her dd too. I would mention if you really have seen her nearly hit by cars but its the parents choice how much independence she wants to give.

WoopWoop200 Fri 29-Jul-16 22:57:11

Wouldn't surprise me. She has a habit of dumping her kid on other people. I was last years sucker until i put a stop to it. Literally every single day. Poor kid only ever went out because i took her places.
Still negligent leaving your kid in the street all day and not checking on them. I couldn't do it to my kids. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd never forgive myself if that little girl got injured and i didn't do anything that could have prevented it

WorraLiberty Fri 29-Jul-16 23:01:31

Can you explain a bit more about "i've seen her kid dodge a couple of cars"?

Did her child run across the road and nearly get hit by a couple of cars?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now