Can my boss give part of my job to someone else?

(9 Posts)
Allusernamestaken12 Thu 28-Jul-16 14:10:26

Been at my company as a manager for 8 years. I manage 3 people, one of whom is a real trouble maker.

She regularly gets into trouble with HR, and had made numerous people cry (one who had just got back to work after a stillbirth) She is incredibly manipulative to boot.

My own manager has been trying to move her to another department, but it turns out she is trying to take part of my role ( a key part) with her!

This would effectively demote me and promote her. My role simply wouldn't work with this key element.

Are they allowed to do this?

Nabootique Thu 28-Jul-16 15:45:05

I think they can, I'm afraid. Something similar happened to me, where I was told most of my role was not required, stripped back my job, then they hired someone else to do the bit that they now realised was actually necessary that they got rid of. I applied for the job and was turned down, even though I had been doing it for years.

Will you be left with a job that is similar to what you have been doing already? I get that you are being quite vague, but I think there is something in employment law where they can't force you to do something totally different to the job you already have.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 28-Jul-16 15:48:23

I had it happen to me as well and from the advice I got from acas there was nothing I could do about it. It's shit. Was also effectively demoted, but because on paper im the same grade still it's legally not an issue.

Oblomov16 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:13:40

Nothing that can be legally as far as I am 'aware '.

RatherBeRiding Thu 28-Jul-16 16:19:19

I think that if you still have the same job title and are paid the same - they probably can. Because on paper it's what you were hired to do.

You say the trouble-maker is the one trying to take part of your role with her - you need to talk to your manager and HR about what the company's views of your role are and whether the company wants to allow the other person to do part of it.

Dozer Thu 28-Jul-16 16:30:16

Ask them to clarify your job description, and consider raising concerns under the grievance procedure.

SouthWindsWesterly Thu 28-Jul-16 17:14:04

Is the manager trying to shift her by giving her an element of your job, or is the other woman demanding it?

maggiethemagpie Fri 29-Jul-16 18:31:36

They can chop and change parts of peoples jobs and combine them to make new jobs. They would need to consult with you though as your old job would be effectively redundant.

Horsemad Fri 29-Jul-16 19:01:35

It would appappearat bosses can do what the f* they want these days, and definitely do.

Employment laws are fairly easy to get round imo. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now