Would you say something?

(143 Posts)
Zosebrina Tue 26-Jul-16 10:56:57

I am having some work done on my house, specifically my upstairs bathroom.

The person doing the work is a friend of one of my relatives and I wasn't able to stay home today to let them in etc so I gave a key to a relative who then gave a key to the tradesman, they have had work done before and It's very good. I was a bit nervous about giving some random person a key but my relative assured me he is totally trustworthy and has been alone in their house doing work lots of times.

Before I left for work this morning I shut all the doors to the bedrooms upstairs and the living room.

I have a burglar alarm linked to my phone and motion sensors in all the downstairs rooms, a contact sensor on the back door and motion sensors in all the upstairs bedrooms (I live on my own and have been burgled before incase anyone thinks I'm a bit OTT with the sensors!)

I can look at the motion sensor activity from my phone and just popped to have a look just to see if he had turned up to do the work.

So far he has spent 3/4 an hour in the kitchen (presumably having a coffee - fine by me), has gone outside into the garden (or at least opened the back door) has gone in the living room and all the upstairs bedrooms...

I'm trying to workout why on earth he felt the need to go in any of the bedrooms when the doors were shut? He wouldn't have been looking for the bathroom because I left that door open and you have to walk past it to get to the bedrooms so he would have seen it immediately as he walked up the stairs.
I can sort of understand him going in the living room, perhaps he wanted to sit with a coffee on the sofa but the bedrooms?? I am a bit annoyed that he has gone in there because I have cream carpets in all the bedrooms and obviously he wouldn't have taken his shoes off to do work.

IABU to feel a bit unnerved that he has gone into my bedrooms when there was no need? Should I say something?

BorpBorpBorp Tue 26-Jul-16 10:58:59

Is he doing plumbing work? Could he have been checking radiator pipes?

Duckyneedsaclean Tue 26-Jul-16 11:01:09

Yes, if he'd replaced a radiator be may have had to bleed all the others?

coolaschmoola Tue 26-Jul-16 11:03:02

I would think it's about pipes/radiators or opening doors for ventilation, particularly if he is using a blowtorch.

Ilovetea82 Tue 26-Jul-16 11:03:31

Possibly gone outside to check where the overflow goes to, and draining the systems water into the kitchen sink. Plus checking the radiators.

c3pu Tue 26-Jul-16 11:04:06

What was the job?

Angelto5 Tue 26-Jul-16 11:06:04

Maybe needed a plug socket (grasping at straws)?

I would assume bleeding the radiators too.

Zosebrina Tue 26-Jul-16 11:09:47

No radiator work (I hope!) just replacing a few broken tiles. He's not a plumber so I hope he's not doing any radiator work....

NavyandWhite Tue 26-Jul-16 11:10:46

Yes I bet he was bleeding radiators.

Zosebrina Tue 26-Jul-16 11:11:19

There's plug sockets on the landing so that one is out too! I am hoping I've missed something obvious that he might have needed to go in there for.

annielouise Tue 26-Jul-16 11:11:24

Did he close the bedroom doors after him? If he was in there legitimately he'd have left them open surely? Also he'd have mentioned it as it's obvious all bedroom doors shut means don't go in there. I would most definitely say something and be really pissed off with everything apart from him going into the garden - he might have gone out for a smoke.

NavyandWhite Tue 26-Jul-16 11:11:54

Ah X post.

Oh. That is weird then. Sounds like he's been having a nosey.

I don't know what I would do tbh.

annielouise Tue 26-Jul-16 11:12:36

Just say I have sensors on all doors which show you went into every room in my house. Why? It's a violation of your privacy.

ArmySal Tue 26-Jul-16 11:13:10

If he didn't need to go in, no way would I like him in my bedrooms.

c3pu Tue 26-Jul-16 11:13:52

Absolute tops the only thing he'd need for tiling is some water to mix up the adhesive if he's using bagged adhesive not the pre-mixed stuff (bagged adhesive is better than the pre-mixed)... And water is usually readily available in the bathroom and kitchen, much less the bedroom.

If he was using bagged adhesive he'd probably need some power run his drill/mixer, but there's no way he'd be doing that in a bedroom, he'd almost certainly do it outside with an extension and a downstairs socket.

Zosebrina Tue 26-Jul-16 11:15:12

ah yes didn't think about going out for a smoke! I don't care that he went out in the garden or the living room just found it a bit strange he needed to go in every bedroom.

I'm not sure if he has closed the doors after him again because the sensor only goes off once you enter the room rather than open the door if that makes sense and you don't need to walk past the doors to go anywhere other than the next bedroom so not like he would pass any of them to go downstairs etc.

Birdsgottafly Tue 26-Jul-16 11:18:26

Have you got a particularly nice house, or one better than his?

It might have been curiosity, not that, that makes it right.

I'd have to ask if there was something he needed that he didn't have, because the alarm showed that the bedroom doors had been opened.

Zosebrina Tue 26-Jul-16 11:25:00

hmm not sure about having a better house than his no idea lol! it's not a particularly fancy house just a typical 3 bed 1930's semi...

I suppose he could have been genuinely curious as to how big the rooms were etc but I'm feeling a bit embarrassed as the one bedroom I use as a craft room and I had a few orders yesterday and I didn't have chance to give it a good clean before I left so it looks like a bomb has hit it which is one of the reasons why I left the door shut and didn't think for one minute he would look in there!

I'm thinking of saying something like "sorry if my alarm frightened you it went off because it said the bedrooms had been entered" - obviously the alarm won't have gone off his end (I can blame phone malfunction or something I suppose!) but might give him a chance to explain why and that I know he was in there without flatout accusing him immediately.

MammouthTask Tue 26-Jul-16 11:34:43

He was nosy and I would sort of expect it tbh.
No need to make him aware about it. Just have a look at the job abd see if the did a nice job or not.
Otherwise you will look like you have been stalking him and checking his every move (eg how long did he stay in the kitchen etc...). It doesn't create trust iyswim

Littlepeople12345 Tue 26-Jul-16 11:37:21

I wouldn't be happy at all. How long will the work take? I'd want my key back Asap.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 26-Jul-16 11:44:53

Don't say that. Say why did you go in all the bedrooms then shut up. If he denies it tell him you know he has. Then shut up again. Lots of people are nosey buggers. He's lost future work. He needs to learn.

LurkingHusband Tue 26-Jul-16 11:46:56

Should have had CCTV fitted with all the sensors.

NavyandWhite Tue 26-Jul-16 11:49:47

OP I would go with your suggestion of what to say rather outright asking him why he went in the bedroom. You will catch him unaware and he won't have to time to think something up. If there's a genuine reason he will give it immediately, then no harm done.

ExtraHotLatteToGo Tue 26-Jul-16 11:49:55

If I was working upstairs like that I'd open all the doors & windows too. I like a breeze blowing through and I hate feeling closed in. The state of your spare room wouldn't even register.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now