I don't mind the odd LOL, you know?

(20 Posts)
HoneyDragon Tue 26-Jul-16 09:40:30

I even occasionally throw one out there myself.

But why the fuck is is suddenly replacing the humble full stop?

Is there some confusion as to its purpose now it's so prolific?

People literally just finish a sentence with it. Even if it is not a statement that in any way, shape or form would induce laughter from either the writing or reading party.

These aren't people attempting sarcasm either.

It's not punctuation.

"I have an IKEA Billy bookcase, it's excellent LOL"

"I think my gerbil is dead LOL" <further reading reveals genuinely distraught poster>

"Have you tried adding deionised water to your iron, op LOL" <can also replace the humble question mark.

Is LOL the future of punctuation?

<disclaimer: this bothers me and I am the laziest punctuater in the universe>

Floggingmolly Tue 26-Jul-16 09:41:44

It's the replacement for "innit?"

HoneyDragon Tue 26-Jul-16 09:47:07

People say innit, though rather than type it. Maybe it's the social media equivalent of 'innit'. Innit?

HoneyDragon Tue 26-Jul-16 09:48:06

Is innit, an abbreviation of ain't it?

Floggingmolly Tue 26-Jul-16 09:56:06

Originally, I think. But I've heard gems like "I'm going swimming today, innit". "I don't like that colour, innit"
So the meaning, if there ever was one, has been completely subverted lol

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 26-Jul-16 09:57:48

I loathe 'lol', it's fucking awful, I'm not in anyway pedantic but it makes me twitch irrationally.

corgiology Tue 26-Jul-16 09:57:53

I think it's to show the tone of the post. If you are texting a friend and just say I'm at the supermarket. It seems a bit off but if you said I'm at the supermarket smile it's friendlier.
I think it's hard to convey emotion online so people try to show emotions through emoticons and lols.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Tue 26-Jul-16 09:59:38

It really makes people sound a bit thick sometimes. Even people I like who I don't think are thick. At the end of every mundane sentance.

"Duno wether to go to the shops or Hoover the floor lol"

Really Sheila. You're laughing out loud at the hilarity of that situation?

HoneyDragon Tue 26-Jul-16 10:21:45

How do you need to emphasise tone when indicating you are at the supermarket? confused.

It's just a terrible habit

Doyouwantfrieswiththatshake Tue 26-Jul-16 10:24:03

No I hate it. There's so many other things that could be used.

My casual sex partner does it and it's a huge turn off, ridiculous really but it makes my teeth itch

Doyouwantfrieswiththatshake Tue 26-Jul-16 10:25:06

Fancy meeting up tonight lol

Why fucking lol? Send a winky face, or a kissy face or a hand slap wink

MrsJayy Tue 26-Jul-16 10:28:21

People who Lol when they have nothing to lol about do me in. Somebody replied to a text the other day with Thanks LOL i wanted to reply LOL really

ABloodyDifficultWoman Tue 26-Jul-16 10:29:16

I don't like it. Toxic ex-friend used to use it as a P/A tool a lot of the time and now whenever I see it I just think it's incredibly naff, possibly a bit thick and sometimes hiding some other meaning.

AprilShowers16 Tue 26-Jul-16 10:31:30

I wonder if some people use it to mean 'lots of love' - that would explain the use at end of sentences... Maybe

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 26-Jul-16 10:31:42

Years ago, when we used msn messenger, it was pretty much how we ended most sentences. Either that or kik

I've grown out of it now grin but I wouldn't mind it if it was used properly. LOL doesn't mean "I found your comment mildly amusing and I almost smiled inside"

TheHiphopopotamus Tue 26-Jul-16 10:32:44

I thought that with the introduction of the emoji, the humble LOL was dying out. There's been an actual survey done and evryfing, innit. I think the actual meaning of LOL had been lost somewhere down the line though.

Yanbu lol

NeedACleverNN Tue 26-Jul-16 10:35:41

Has anyone accidentally ever said lol in real life when it was all in the rage years ago?

I did and then immediately thought "you are a twat"

I try not to use it now where possible

abbinobb Tue 26-Jul-16 10:36:31

It's been replaced by that crying face I think, I see that crying face EVERYWHERE.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Tue 26-Jul-16 11:27:55

I HATE that crying face! And that little twat with hearts in his eyes.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 26-Jul-16 11:34:41

Ohhhh the crying face. Yeah I hate that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now