Am I being over cautious or sensible?

(8 Posts)
Happypeas Mon 25-Jul-16 07:43:40

My little boy normally has large tonsils. If he had tonsillitis he tonsils become very large and swollen. This also can happen sometimes with a cold.

The other day he was stung by a bee. When he was screaming I could see into the back of his throat and saw his tonsils looked really swollen. So much so I couldn't see any gaps for air but he was breathing fine. Also it was very swollen around where he was stung.

The next day when I looked in his throat his tonsils were nowhere near as big and I could clearly see air space at the back.

I want to take him to the doctors as I'm worried the swollen throat was caused by the sting and next time his throat could swell shut. My oh thinks I'm being ott and his throat was swollen because he had a cold and was crying hard.

SaggyNaggy Mon 25-Jul-16 07:47:00

Where did the bee sting?
I've never heard of a bee sting causing tonsils to swell up? I wouldn't even think of looking at tonsils if my DD was stung tbh.

Yoyoyopo Mon 25-Jul-16 07:47:40

Take him - he might be allergic, the crying might have inflamed his tonsils - it's not worth feeling worried about a GP will help smile

Yoyoyopo Mon 25-Jul-16 07:49:03

My mother is very allergic and her throat always swells shut (and if she can't find her epipen it's hospital) so it can be a symptom

Happypeas Mon 25-Jul-16 08:49:39

Saggy - it was on his hand. I'm not
Sure if it was his tonsils that were swollen or the back of his throat but definitely looked different the next morning.

davos Mon 25-Jul-16 09:04:52

I would get it double checked.

Dh has a sever allergy to quinine. His throat closes if he has it. Much to his distress he can no longer have gin and tonic. grin

His allergy got steadily worse until he had to be blue lighted to hospital.

We didn't know what caused it. Every so often he would get really hot and his breathing got harder. Despite me saying he needed hospital he refused to go the first few times. The last time it had to be ambulance.

He now carries an epi pen. Just incase.

In your case it could be coincidence, but no harm in raising it with the doctor.

JustHappy3 Mon 25-Jul-16 09:29:05

Our lovely Drs say "If you're worried, we're worried." I wouldn't rush for an emergency appt but I would ring and make one. What's the worst that can happen? Does he think you'll damage him irrevocably and delay his development by showing a bit of concern??!!

Ginkypig Mon 25-Jul-16 11:38:44

If he was screaming then he will have been putting extra strain on the muscles in that area combined with have his mouth open wide enough for you to see them, could that have caused everything to push forward therefor looking like there was no air gap but only temporarily until his mouth reverted back to normal?

I'd still talk to the doctor though as tonsils are easy to remove (if that's whats needed) and if it's an allergy of so kind it's worth talking about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now