To just walk away from the desk and take a break?

(7 Posts)
DisneySenior Mon 25-Jul-16 04:14:35

I work in a busy hotel, short staffed and front of house staff are not getting a break. We work 8 and a half hour shifts and half an hour is deducted from our pay for our break.

Nobody else (management) will cover reception so we are not getting our breaks and usually go the full shift with no food or a sit down.

Im pissed off more about it being deducted from our pay because im basically doing half an hours work for nothing each shift.

Would I be unreasonable to just walk away and take a break regardless of cover?

Im fairly new to the company but I have spoken up about it but promises of breaks come to nothing

VioletBam Mon 25-Jul-16 04:54:45

Well YANBU but you might get sacked.

daisychain01 Mon 25-Jul-16 04:58:31

No definitely not advisable to walk away. Are you always working alone - is there literally nobody available to cover for you?

I'd arrange a meeting with your manager and discuss the problem, that you aren't getting a break and that you'd like to try to work through a solution together, what can they suggest.

Mouikey Mon 25-Jul-16 07:16:27

Unless you've waived your rights away you are legally entitled to a break in terms of the hours you work. Take a record, try and get stuff in writing from them and if you were sacked on this basis you may be able to take it further.

acasualobserver Mon 25-Jul-16 07:18:44

Are you a member of a union?

WeirdAndPissedOff Mon 25-Jul-16 07:23:37

YANBU - unfortunately many places in the hospitality and catering trade are like this (we worked out once that my brother's boss owes him around £3,000 in unpaid overtime/lunch breaks). Whilst you'd be within your rights to take a lunch anyway, I wouldn't risk it personally - there are enough people needing jobs that they know they can replace you with someone who won't rock the boat.

I would try to talk to management, though.

Thattimeofyearagain Mon 25-Jul-16 07:29:04

Any hr on site/ in the company ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now