To worry about my sons party

(11 Posts)
thingamijig1 Sat 23-Jul-16 23:12:31

So, I sent out texts today to a few mums from nursery asking for their addresses so my son could send their child an invitation to his birthday party.
It's the middle of the summer holidays here so not seen any of them in a while and acquired their numbers via other mums. I've not had a single reply. Aibu to be panicking no one will come and ds will be disappointed? It's his first party with his own wee pals and I'm worried I won't be able to contact anyone/they won't answer me!

hazeimcgee Sat 23-Jul-16 23:21:34

How long away is his party? Has he got any play dates between now and then? Are you friends with any of them to ask them directly?

thingamijig1 Sat 23-Jul-16 23:25:56

2 weeks no play dates planned and I don't see any of the ones I've texted and haven't replied.

hazeimcgee Sat 23-Jul-16 23:26:57

Honestly its all a bit late, ideally they would have gone out before school closed. I'f maybe leave it over the weekend and do a call round Monday?

thingamijig1 Sat 23-Jul-16 23:31:17

School finished in June and the party wasn't till Aug. I hadn't even thought about it if I'm honest! Will send out invites for next year in June!! As long as a few show up he won't mind....I hope!

Shezza71 Sat 23-Jul-16 23:36:45

I often find that children who have birthdays in the summer holidays tend to have an early party before school breaks up as so many of their friends go away. Maybe a day out with just a couple of friends if no one seems to be around. Hope all goes well

BackforGood Sat 23-Jul-16 23:40:13

My tip is - don't bother trying to arrange a child's birthday party in the school holidays. Follow this and save yourself YEARS of angst.

My dc also love having "2 birthdays" - the actual one with the family and then the late / early on with their friends.

hazeimcgee Sat 23-Jul-16 23:42:56

Ah you guys broke up early. All round here broke uo this last week, that's why i thought it was odd.
Is there a nicer one out t
If the parents to call and see what they say

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Sat 23-Jul-16 23:45:25

Oh gawd I remember going through all that - after a while I decided to check out a few mums verbally first - "if we made it this date could your child come?" - get about 5 definites and then build on that by sending out invites to everyone else and adapting the form the party would take according to the number of positive responses but always knowing I had five guests for sure.,. I do that with my own parties - get 10 or so definites verbally confirmed then adapt what form the party will take once I've sent out other invited and I know numbers. Saves a bit of stress.
Are there a couple of mums you're closer to that you could text again and explain situation and ask if they can make it as you're concerned you've had no responses?

LizzieMacQueen Sat 23-Jul-16 23:47:41

You sent the texts today?

I wouldn't panic yet, there will be millions of reasons why they've not replied yet, eg, out camping and getting a crap signal.

JakeBallardswife Sat 23-Jul-16 23:52:18

Or have a small family thing on his birthday then do a party week after school is back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now